Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller

/ Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller #1  

ptmandan

Tractor
Ford 1600 4X4 2 cylinder diesel
Hi just joined hoping I can get some insights from some who are more experienced than I. I would like to change the gear oil in my pto tiller and I don't have a manual for it. Anyone happen to have info on a Howard HA 130 WU tiller as far as gear oil capacity and type needed. Also are there more than one chamber that I need to drain and change? I am thinking I will just lift it with a chair and drain it from the top because the drain plug looks stripped? Good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any info.

/ Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller #2  
Welcome to TBN.

The following are from an HE model, but would apply. I don't think I have an HA manual, but I will keep looking for you.

Also, whatever method you can drain the oil if the plug is stripped

Attachments

• Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_1.jpg
    Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_3.jpg
    Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_2.jpg
    Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_4.jpg
    Adobe Scan Oct 17, 2023_4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
   / Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller
Thanks Tractor Tech for the info. This is awesome!

/ Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller #4  
I don't know the parts availability of Howard Rotavators, but Kongskilde Agriculture of Denmark bought them and no one in the US represents them according to their website, but this company from Washington popped up:

Attachments

• HA_SPL_INT.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
   / Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller #6  
Hi just joined hoping I can get some insights from some who are more experienced than I. I would like to change the gear oil in my pto tiller and I don't have a manual for it. Anyone happen to have info on a Howard HA 130 WU tiller as far as gear oil capacity and type needed. Also are there more than one chamber that I need to drain and change? I am thinking I will just lift it with a chair and drain it from the top because the drain plug looks stripped? Good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any info.
A marine battery. Charge it twice a year. Best idea I got

/ Changing the gear oil in my Howard HA 130 WU PTO tiller #7  
I use 80W 90 in mine, but any gear oil will be fine, change it once a year.

If it's not obviously low, put back in it the amount you take out.

Mine are chain drive on the side, and it along with the gear box runs in oil. I use a suction gun for the gear box, and I remove the side cover to inspect the chain/sprockets, refilling both with gear oil.

SR