Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone

/ Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I have a three point hitch mounted log splitter that I use on the JD 4720. It seemed like a good idea at the time to avoid having another engine to maintain and another reason to use the tractor. However, just running the 4720 at about 1800 rpm, which provides plenty of hydraulic power, takes probably a gallon and a half of diesel fuel and puts needless hours on the tractor.

I paid $500 for the splitter at Northern Tool and it cost another $40 or so for hoses and ends. I figured I could sell the splitter and just purchase a stand alone model. But the least expensive one that is reasonably heavy still is over $1,000. I figured I could probably get $350 for my used splitter.

But here's the deal. I have an almost new 5 hp Honda engine from a pressure washer with a bad pump. Since the tractor mounted splitter already has the valve and since I have an engine, I was thinking I would have about $150 in a pump, $75 in an oil tank and say about $100 - $200 in wheels, hubs, tires, hoses, welding, etc. I could be even less as I have some used parts laying around as well.

Since the engine is just sitting on the shelf this project seems to make sense. Has anyone done something similar and if so, any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
Terry,

/ Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #2  
I did just the opposit(spell?). I bought a used home made splitter and made it 3pt mount. If you were closer I could sell you my engine pump and tank. I don't split much and wanted a reason to play with the tractor.
Rob

Attachments

• DCFC0056.JPG
    DCFC0056.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 522
   / Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #3  
It's very do-able. Look for a two-stage pump on eBay. Don't forget a LoveJoy coupler to marry the pump to the engine.

/ Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #4  
I'm working on the same project. Five years ago I bought a Northern 3 pt. log splitter. I think it's a 30 ton model. but not sure. It's the type that can be used horizontal or vertical. It's a great splitter works well, it could be just a little faster. The splitter normally sits in my pole barn where the split fireword is stored. Now the splitter just sits on 3 large logs and I run hydraulic hoses from the splitter to the tractor. This causes problems because now I can't haul logs to the pole barn unless I disconnect the hydraulic hoses. So now the plan is to make the splitter a stand alone self contained unit. I have a old 10 HP engine off a riding lawn mower I scrapped. Before I scrapped the mower I also salvaged the fuel tank, throttle cable, starter relay and associated wiring harness. Last winter I collected a 15 gallon hydraulic tank, a 13 gpm two stage pump and most of the hoses and fittings. I'm currently looking for a small trailer to mount it on. A jet ski trailer is perfect, but the used ones around here are $200.00. A little too pricey for my project. Since grass cutting season is back I have kind of put this project on the shelf for awhile. Plans are to be able to mount the splitter on the small trailer with the pump/engine -OR- use the spltter on the 3 pt. hitch. I would like to be able to back the tractor up to the trailer and just lift the splitter off using the 3 pt. hitch. I'm still currently in the engineering stages on the mounting. I would like to be able to tilt the splitter up to the vertical position. To mount it high enough on the trailer to do this really shifts all the weight ( center of gravity) high on the trailer, which would really make the trailer prone to flipping over. So I may scrap that idea and only use it in the horizontal position.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm no hydraulic expert, but I'm willing to help you all I can.

Thanks...........have a Happy 4th of July.

/ Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #5  
I have mine so I can use eather way . Have a HYD power pack (Engine, Pump, Tank, Filter with same quick disconnects as tractor). Just put Tires on spliter (can remove with clip pins) also can run other things from power pack . Will send picture later.

/ Changing three point hitch log splitter to stand alone #6  
I did just the opposit(spell?). I bought a used home made splitter and made it 3pt mount. If you were closer I could sell you my engine pump and tank. I don't split much and wanted a reason to play with the tractor.
Rob

email me how much you would want for the pump and tank. b_kamphaus@yahoo.com