Changing Transaxle Filter

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #1  

micman32

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 221/Cub Cadet XT2
I need to change the transaxle filter on my 2518. Just wonder how far back i need to jack up the tractor so I won't lose all the fluid?

Michael

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #2  
Can I ask WHY people would want to change the Transaxle filter but not the fluid? I mean its not like you change the filter all that often, and if its bad enough to need changed why would you NOT change the fluid as well?

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #3  
Most of the Cub manuals have a service interval for the filter but not the fluid. I guess they figure the filter change and the fluid top up will be good enough so that you don't need to change the fluid.

It's a reasonable assumption IMO as long as you don't get a bunch of dirt in the system or any water...

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #4  
Micman32: This job is easiest when the mower deck is off . . . jack the front end up so the front tires are a few inches off the ground . . . have your new filter already prepped with oil/grease on the rubber ring . . . loosen the old filter with your filter wrench and once it's loose, spin it the rest of the way off and quickly spin the new one on. You'll lose less than 1 quart ($11.99 at my local dealer this spring which is why you don't want to replace all 7 quarts unless there's contamination in the tranny fluid).

Nittany

2004 Cub Cadet 2518

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #5  
Vernonator said:
Can I ask WHY people would want to change the Transaxle filter but not the fluid? I mean its not like you change the filter all that often, and if its bad enough to need changed why would you NOT change the fluid as well?

Vernon, for the most part I agree. This is why I switched to Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 for the transaxle oil. I don't mind swapping it out every other season (or when ever I get the bug). To the original poster, you'll need to get the front about a good 6" off the ground to not loose any trans oil with the filter off. Either that or keep a finger or stopper plugged in the threaded stub for the filter base.

Joel

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #6  
Having the wheels 6" off the ground on my 2554 wasn't enough to stop fluid loss. I still lost about a pint.

As Nittany said, have the filter ready when before you screw the old one off...

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #7  
JSharp said:
Having the wheels 6" off the ground on my 2554 wasn't enough to stop fluid loss. I still lost about a pint.

As Nittany said, have the filter ready when before you screw the old one off...

You're right. I had mine jacked way up from under the font axle with my big floor jack. Mine was closer to foot up in the front (for my second trans filter change !@#$)

Joel

/ Changing Transaxle Filter
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I just have to be prepared and fast!!!!

Michael

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #9  
micman32 said:
I need to change the transaxle filter on my 2518. Just wonder how far back i need to jack up the tractor so I won't lose all the fluid?

Michael
I just ran the front wheels part ways up on a set of car ramps.
Lost less than a quart.

Didn't know to do that the first time and lost 3 quarts.

/ Changing Transaxle Filter #10  
I just bought a 2138 and they serviced everything but the transmission filter. I have a floor jack that goes to about 19", sounds like that is high enough?