Changing Wheel Width

/ Changing Wheel Width #1  

mx1alex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
How hard is it to change the rear wheel width with fluid filled tires. I have a Kubota MX5400 and I want to widen the stance. The fluid in the tires adds an extra 400lbs or so to each tire and figured that it might be too much for me to do alone.

/ Changing Wheel Width #2  
With good jack that you can regulate height on and a helper it should not be much of a problem..... Just go slow and don't let tire/wheel take control of situation... Bigger issue would be quality of spacer you might need...

/ Changing Wheel Width
With good jack that you can regulate height on and a helper it should not be much of a problem..... Just go slow and don't let tire/wheel take control of situation... Bigger issue would be quality of spacer you might need...
With the wheel/rim combo on my tractor I can adjust the wheel spacing to 4 different widths and won't need a spacer. Just change the wheel orientation and/or which side of the tabs the wheel bolts to the rim.

1620748506052.png

/ Changing Wheel Width #4  
If the width adjusts the same way it does on the L series it may indeed be too much for one person. There are some bolts to be removed while the tractor is supported but the width must then be adjusted which means the wheel must rotate a bit at the same time.

/ Changing Wheel Width #5  
I tried to look up some photos of your wheel construction. Unfortunately, I could not find any that provided any detailed information.
So a few questions that hopefully make sense. I see that your wheels are 2 piece from photos I did find. A rim piece snd a dish piece.
Questions:
•which way are the dish oriented? In or out. (Photos will provide some of these answers)
•how many series of mounting tabs are on the rims? (This is one bit of info I could not tell for sure from pictures). There will be several mounting ears in a series around the rim as the dish has several mounting tabs. Is there 1 series or are there multiples at varying depths on the rim? There are options to change the tread stance even if only 1 series of mounting ears. If only 1 series of mounting ears, you are going to need help, help may not be more people. Some type of lift may suffice (engine cherry picker comes to mind)
•are the rim ears in front of the dish or behind the dish?

/ Changing Wheel Width #6  
It took 2 of us and another loader to swap tires around (remove and remount cast rim center disks) on m7060. Unloaded tires. I’m sure one guy could do it very carefully but 2 was gooder.

/ Changing Wheel Width #7  
I've done it with 16-9-28 tires that were loaded. On a JD 2030
I made a pin from a bolt same size as used to bolt wheel center to axle. I cut the head off and ground a taper. Installed the "pin" at 12 o'clock and "walked" the wheel/tire on and got two bolts started.
I was not swapping side to side and used a floor jack.
A helper would have been a plus.
Keep the wheel tire straight up. Have room to work and an escape route if it gets away from you. A place to lean it while you change the center to rim. I used the loader arm/boom.

/ Changing Wheel Width #8  
Your helper could be a shop crane! Some of them
can life 3.5 ton should be no problem with one on
changing or moving a tire.

willy

/ Changing Wheel Width #9  
Looking for suggestions for making my Kubota L6060 as stable as possible. I just bought this tractor and I live on a mountain in Tennessee. I have a grapple and move fairly heavy oak logs on various grades of hillsides. The tractor has filled
Kubota Rear.jpg
R4 17 5L-24 industrial contractor tires that are 18" wide and the inside of the tire is about 3" from the inside of the fender. The measurement from the middle of each tire is 53" apart and the outside is 70". It seems like spacing the rear tires farther apart would make it more stable, any ideas on the best way to do that.

/ Changing Wheel Width #10  
IF you can not reverse wheels to gain width I suggest wheel spacers....

Possible from this distributor.... I have 3 inch spacers on my MF from him and they have been a good addition for my use......