charger specs for 24v scooter

/ charger specs for 24v scooter
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mains driven ? I guess I am just old fashoned and like transformers for such projects )</font>

I've seen a move in many laptop power supplies to transformerless units by using triacs.. makes a real lightweight and still very high current ac to ac power supply.. with no bulky copper xformer.. then you can add your dc side to it and go.. etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some of the rework might have been to meet UL specs, or to keep it from flaming up )</font>

I'll go with the 'flaming up'.. as after looking at the rework.. all but one part is added in to the adjustable regulator support circuitry.. .. probably making it regulate a tad up or down from wher ethe onboard circuitry had it set.. might have been under or overcharging the scooter battery.. ( overcharge = flame up? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) Also.. the power resistor as a series load was also an add in.. I'm sure it was used as a current limiter to , again.. as you mention.. keep the flames down. Otherwise.. the charge lines come righp of fthat 16 pin dip package.. and it claims 1.6a charge current. That thing must get prety warm! no heat sink. I believe that package is rated for 1a.. or 1.5a with heatsink... IMHO.. it is underpowered for the application it is used in.. and they hacke dthe circuitry up as a kludge to 'get-er-done' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unless I fell froggy about triacing mine.. I'll got he easy way and xformer down.. rectify and regulate... I mean... It's only a battery charger.. that's a step down from a power supply even.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ charger specs for 24v scooter #12  
16 pin dip at 1.6 amp, toast your pinkie on that one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ charger specs for 24v scooter
Yep.. I loved that.. output specs listed on the chi-com pow supply was 1.6a.. and clearly looking at the power supply inards.. the final output stage was that wimpy non-heatsunk 16 pin dip.. an dthen that large wattage low value current limiter soldered in.... My guess that realy limited the current to 1a or less... things a total piece of junk.. I could do better with 15$ of radio shack parts ..

Soundguy

/ charger specs for 24v scooter #14  
28.6 to 28.8 Volts is what the charging system in my aircraft with a 24 volt battery reads when operating. You can find ready-made chargers around without much trouble, if you'd rather buy. (I believe some larger trucks use 24 volt systems as well).

Of course, it's probably more fun to build one...

John Mc

/ charger specs for 24v scooter #15  
With a sealed lead acid battery, I would assume gel cell and wouldn't let the terminal voltage exceed 28.2 volts -- 28.4 absolute tops. I would float at 26.4. Gel cells generally require slightly lower voltages to prevent damage.

/ charger specs for 24v scooter #16  
HI Soundguy, I am new to this BBS but OLD in time and knowledge. Just wire two 12 volt battery chargers in series and you have a 24 volt charger. I use to do many scrach electronic projects, but now i do what ever is easy. LOL

Sharky