Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal?

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #1  

paine

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX33 Farmall
I posted this up on the New Holland forum a few days ago but have not had any responses, let me know if you have any ideas please!! I don't want to damage a hydro pump.

I have a Case DX33 FARMALL (TC33DA in red paint) and I have noticed some chattering type noise from the line that connects the HST filter housing to the cooler. I have checked the hose clamps that would typically cause air leaks in the system, I changed the HST filter but I am not sure where the suction screen is so I didn't clean that. The fluid is at the correct level from what I can tell, I have been checking it with the FEL on the ground.

I have not yet tried a hydro fluid/filter change as I plan on picking up some AMSOIL but just have not wanted to spend the money on it yet. I did want to get the synthetic AMSOIL in there before winter and I guess this will just be a reason to get it in there now. I would like to rule out other possible problems as I don't want to get the new expensive hydro fluid in there and have to drop the filters again or remove any lines to wast fluid. Ill pose a pic of the line I am referring to in a few.

its the longer line in the front view pic and the lower line in the side/filter view pic. My pup was just trying hide from the rain that we were getting when I took the pics.

3810C3EF-68B2-43B5-8324-E8CE12144720_zpsemotihjw.jpg

A9434787-5715-481C-A291-A81908CCFEFA_zpseark8pwa.jpg

13AB6CE8-D157-4E95-A64D-D45400B9F37B_zpstkvlbtgl.jpg

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #2  
I can't help with the question, but that's one cute pup!

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #3  
# hours on the rig, last hydro fluid change, when does noise occur, color of fluid on dipstick, type of work you've been using the tractor for, how long has noise been occurring, further description of noise, is tractor cold or at normal op temp when it occurs, etc.?

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal?
I can't help with the question, but that's one cute pup!

Thanks! She is a recuse and the best dog a guy could ask for!

# hours on the rig, last hydro fluid change, when does noise occur, color of fluid on dipstick, type of work you've been using the tractor for, how long has noise been occurring, further description of noise, is tractor cold or at normal op temp when it occurs, etc.?

-1,100 hours

-hydro fluid has not yet been changed since I have owned it. picked it up at right around 1000 hours. I did however change the HST filter. The tractor is in "like new" condition (why I bought it) so I would guess and hope he also kept up on the fluid changes if he cared enough to keep it as clean as he did, he even waxed it.

-Fluid on dipstick is nice and clear.

- I mostly use it for FEL work with some light PTO use. I do have a 6-700lb rear ballast box in when using the FEL

- The noise was first noticeable when first starting, and is now more prominent during operations and when warm.

When I use the clutch to disconnect the hydro system the noise stops, I can feel the vibration in the line along with the noise.

My plan is to change the fluid and all filters to see if this could fix the issue.

Any idea where the fluid "screen" is ?

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #5  
Was the noise apparent before you changed the filter? Can you ask the seller if he ever changed the fluid? If he didn't, 1000 hours is a long time to run without changing. No clue as to screen location. Can you get a service manual?

Maybe if you post a question about a TC33DA hydro screen in the NH forum you'll get some help on that question. Can't hurt to try...
Is there a Case dealer network you could tap for some answers?
I'm not familiar with Case tractors in particular so I'm not up on what's available....
What year is your tractor?

Last edited:
   / Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #6  
Have you checked the hydraulic pump suction line for leaks? That is where I would start and it may be hard to find since it would be under a slight vacuum. Somewhere air is getting in the system or the pump is starved for oil is the most likely scenario. I would not use the tractor until the problem is fixed, limit the running time to diagnostics for the repair.

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #7  
I am wondering if a pressure relief valve is not opening properly and causing the chatter. I have a 18 year old Ford 1215 and when I put the parking brake on to get off the tractor the hydraulic pump makes more noise because the fluid pressure builds until the relief valve opens up. I have had this tractor since new and it has always made this noise. With the high/low gear lever in the neutral position the noise stops and you can only hear the engine noise.

Was the noise apparent before you changed the filter? Can you ask the seller if he ever changed the fluid? If he didn't, 1000 hours is a long time to run without changing. No clue as to screen location. Can you get a service manual? Maybe if you post a question about a TC33DA hydro screen in the NH forum you'll get some help on that question. Can't hurt to try... Is there a Case dealer network you could tap for some answers? I'm not familiar with Case tractors in particular so I'm not up on what's available.... What year is your tractor?

If I remember correctly the tractor is a 2006 or 2007. It's the DX33 Farmall which from what I understand is the same as a TC33DA.

I am to the point where I don't want to use in fear of causing damage to an expensive HST pump.

I did check the main tee in the hydro suction line but I guess I should look more closely and follow the suction line and inspect closely.

Thanks for the help, it's always discouraging when the go to forum is slow to respond!

This shines some light on my issue!!! its an old post but good old Jim is still helping people after his time has passed!

I may (knock on wood) have quieted the noise some by tightening the hose clams on the rubber union above the filter housing.

/ Chattering - Cavitation noise from HST filter area normal? #10  
Are those New England clams or Manhattan?:laughing: