Check out this big ole' bad boy!

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #1  

Jesse11

Bronze Member
I've always loved nature and trees have always amazed me. These lovely wonders can really get busy! Check out this tree in a city park on the Columbia river. Biggest tree I've ever seen, and the photos don't do this creature justice! I'm 6 foot tall and can barely reach the bottom of that first branch which is in and of itself, massive to the core.

Attachments

• 100_0980.jpg
    100_0980.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 436
  • 100_0981.jpg
    100_0981.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_0982.jpg
    100_0982.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_0985.jpg
    100_0985.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 387
   / Check out this big ole' bad boy! #2  
There is a famous tree outside of Charleston SC called Angel Oak that is beautiful. Here is a link to a search for it of some of the pictures.

angel oak - Bing Images

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #4  
Hey Jesse,
I've always been fascinated by trees as well. Just got back from San Antonio for the first time. There were some really impressive and gnarly live oaks both along the river walk area, and in the courtyard of the Alamo itself. Really something!

At home, I have a picture of my wife in the gardens surrounding Blarney Castle in Ireland (yes, we kissed the Blarney Stone!). She is standing in front of a tree that just looks Tolkien-esque (like it's out of some wizardry fantasy novel). I'll see if I can dig it up and post later tonight. It looks like it's not real, but it is.

One of the biggest trees I've ever been blessed to see is The Tule in southern Mexico. It's famous throughout the country (much as our redwoods are here). Great photos of the whole tree at this website: Tule Tree, Largest Tree In The World. Santa Maria del Tule, Oaxaca, Mexico Travel And Tour Pictures, Photos, Information, Images, & Reviews. It also has a number of interesting figures which you can see here: EL ARBOL DE STA. MARIA DEL TULE, Oaxaca, M騙ico I'll attach one sample here below.
-Mitch

Attachments

• TULEcabezleon.jpg
    TULEcabezleon.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 278
  • ArbolCompleto2009.jpg
    ArbolCompleto2009.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 335
   / Check out this big ole' bad boy! #6  
Those are some impressive trees!

In Albright Cove, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there is still an area of primieval (aka "old-growth") Appalachian forest that has some huge trees of several species.

Here's a red maple:

6142136271_068d3d4360.jpg

It has a pretty large grove of tulip trees (often called a tulip poplar, though it's not really a poplar):

human_tulip.jpg

MongoTulipLucas.jpg

One of the tulip trees was the largest of its kind in the world - but I understand that storms recently brought it down...

If you've never had the chance to experience a primieval forest, you really should do so. They look like something from a movie or fairy tale, with huge trunks that may soar 75 - 100 feet to the first limb, and a canopy so dense that it cuts off most sunlight, suppressing the undergrowth beneath them... reminds you of being in a cathedral or something.

There's another one in the Joyce Kilmer National Forest of SW North Carolina. Those are the only two that I'm aware of in the east... everything else was logged off, at one time or another.

The trees certainly don't compare in size (nor likely the age) to the redwoods, but they're still quite special in their own right...

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #7  
Whoa, amazing! I love nature, and especially trees.

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #9  
When father time and mother nature work together...unnnnbelieveable.

/ Check out this big ole' bad boy! #10  
We have a similar sized oak as Jesse11 posted. During the October ice storm we had this year, one of the huge branches peeled off. It made an interesting sound when it happened, glad it's not near our house. That one branch is 3 feet thick and is only a small percentage of the tree itself. Needless to say, my FIL now has next years wood all cut up.