Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question #1  

STxGardener

Tractor
N/A
So I decided to go with the purchase of an older model (2022) Yanmar SA324 tractor and am concerned that there may be a chance that sludge in the fuel has had time to develop as the tractor has been on the lot for a period of time. So I wondered if there is a good way to test the tractor fuel tank to see if any biological sludge is present and growing in the tank. I will probably use a biocide to protect against the fuel developing sludge but how would I check the tank when I receive delivery of the tractor? TIA for any comments or suggestions.

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question #2  
Lots of ways to check...
If it's a straight shot to the tank bottom, use something to scoop the bottom of the tank and see what you get. Or use a vacuum pump to suck some off the bottom. If that's not possible, remove the fuel line at the tank and see what comes out.
With a contaminated tank there will likely be crud present in the fuel filter or sediment bowl, assuming the tank outlet didn't clog first. Microbial contamination will appear as a dark slimy goop.

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question #3  
An 'inspection camera', put down into the bottom of the tank, will show you whether there's a biological growth or not.

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question #4  
There are test kits for presence of water in fuel tanks. No water then there's no fungus in fuel tank

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question
Well, older was probably the wrong word. It's just not a brand new, recently built tractor and has had time to sit on the lot for over a year.

/ Checking for sludge in the fuel tank question #8  
I wouldn't worry about it but you can check the fuel filter bowl if it has one. How long does heating oil sit in those tanks??