Checking out a loader on a JD 770

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
First, I have never had a loader before. So, I'm looking at a nice 770 with a loader & have a couple questions & I don't know the nomenclature of loaders, so I'll have to describe the location of the parts I am concerned about.

Starting on the upright supports that attach the loader to the frame, the pins nearest the throttle seem loose. Can the holes be bushed? Are these an easy fix? I see movement here when the bucket hits the ground. Other pins seem to be tight.

Secondly, with the bucket flat on the ground, it won't lift the front of the tractor. It makes a groaning noise. But if I pivot the bucket downward (rotate it forward), it does lift the front easily. Should it be able to lift the front of the tractor with the bottom of the bucket flat on the ground?

Thanks.

Richard Scott

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #2  
Without actually seeing the tractor, there's no way to determine if the pins or bores are worn. What you can do is compare side to side. You mentioned the pins nearest the throttle (right side) seem loose. How does the same pins on the left side seem?
One thing I would do is adjust the wedges. These are in the receptacles of the loader masts (the uprights). This is described in your manual. I am assuming you have a #70 Deere loader, by the way... If you don't have the manual, PM me and I'll describe the procedure.

As far as the loader lifting the tractor...my Deere 670 (770's smaller brethren) was the same...doesn't sound like you have a problem there.

The 770 is a nice machine...I think you'll like this machine.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #3  
I would think it should lift it, my current and previous other branded tractor would and will lift the ft. end off the ground with the bucket flat on the ground.
One or both actuators might be by-passing fluid.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #4  
Richard, I don't know what the "digging depth" is on that model. It may be 2 to 4" which means that, with the bucket level, it will only go down below grade that far. If it's only a couple of inches, it may raise the front of the tractor a little without actually picking it up in the air. Naturally, on such loaders, if the bucket is tilted forward (dump position), it'll pick up the front of the tractor that much higher. So if it lifts OK with the bucket dumped, then I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #5  
I was a renter for several years before I purchased my JD970. Rented small Kubota's and JD's. Don't remember the model's for the orange tractors but they were somewhere in the 20's hp range like the green 2210 and 790. As I recall, the smaller Kubota and JD wouldn't bring the front end up right away at a standstill and at low (idle) rpm. Throttle up and move forward and the front end would be way off the ground!
As well, my 970 had uneven wear on the wedges for the mast uprights. I noticed this when parking on the flat garage floor. (Thought the loader arms might have been tweaked..) Also, one side had more "slop" than the other and when I would pick up a centered load one arm would start to lift up before the other -- uneven lifting.
I resolved the problem by (Roy mentioned this, too) adjusting the wedges but I had to use different washer dimensions (thickness) on the large bolts at the base of the mast. The arms now engage simultaneously and I no longer have the slop and rattle in the loader arms when driving. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My 3 cents. AKfish

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #6  
Bird,
Not sure if his post clearly states whether he can pick up the front end when he "rolls" the bucket or rolls the bucket then picks up the front end?

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #7  
I'm not sure either, Rob, but I think it would lift the front end either way.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #8  
Yes,
I agree with you, Bird...
I was speculating as to identify if he had a set of bad cylinders, controls or lines... either for the bucket or the lift arms. Sounds like like the bucket cylinders are OK for sure.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bird,
Not sure if his post clearly states whether he can pick up the front end when he "rolls" the bucket or rolls the bucket then picks up the front end?
)</font>

From experience, I can say if the bucket is flat on the ground (or other surface) and the operator "dumps" the bucket, the front end of the tractor raises easily...my 670 did it...as does my 790. The way I read the original post, this is what is being described when the 770 loader is level, then "dumped".

As Bird mentioned in his first post, when the bucket is flat and level on the ground, there isn't much further travel downward...so it's not going to pick the front end of the tractor up...maybe an inch or so...if that.
"Dumping" the bucket (as described above) is the manual's procedure for releasing the locking handles on the loader arms when removing the loader, BTW.

/ Checking out a loader on a JD 770
To clarify: "Dumping" the bucket is what picked up the front end. Leaving the bottom of the bucket flat on the ground, it won't lift up the front of the tractor. What you guys say about how low the bucket is designed to go makes sense.

The pin on the opposite side is a lot tighter; if there is any slop I didn't see it.

What are the "wedges"?

BTW, the loader is an SMC (Schwartz), not a JD. SMC's website says nothing about how low the bucket should be able to go. I think the dealer has another tractor with the same brand of loader; I'll ask to try that one out.

Thanks for your input on this. You will probably get more questions from me as I'm looking for a creampuff & I'll probably look at a lot more tractors before I settle on one. Then again, this one was pretty nice & seemed like a pretty good buy...