Checking out a used tractor

/ Checking out a used tractor #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I have found several used tractors available that will fit my needs, 20-28 HP, FEL. A few JD's a couple Kubota's & F-NH's.

I need a checklist of things to check when looking them over. Here are a few things I have already, how about adding to the list:

How easily does it start in cold weather?
Check the exhaust manifold before starting to make sure seller didn't run it before you arrived to make sure it would start easily.
Does it smoke?
Check breather for blow-by.
Check all pins to make sure they are still tight.
Tires: No cracking, tread still good--or make sure the price is right & replacement tires are available in the right size at the right price.
With a load on the 3 pt. hitch, does it bleed down?
Overall condition, does it look beat up?
Leaks?

/ Checking out a used tractor #2  
All that you mentioned are good things to check. Just remember that on most of the diesel tractors the engine is about the last thing to give up. Pins/bushings, hyd. lines, check to see if the grease zerks ever get used, tires, etc. are some of the items that normally give you trouble. Ask the seller if they have maintenance records for the tractor also.

/ Checking out a used tractor #3  
That list has already been compiled for you. Buy the e-book from TractorByNet! Here's a quote from the order page:

"Buying a good used tractor can be a very tricky task. But not for you! Compact Tractor Buying & Basics covers the ins and outs of every aspect of the process, and will give you the advantage of expert knowledge to avoid buying a "lemon". The best Places to Find Used Tractors, Making Sense of Ads, Used Tractors to Avoid Like the plague, The Easy Way to Determine the True Value of a Used Tractor, How to Inspect The Tractor, How to Negotiate with the Seller, and how to get all the information you need, even if the seller doesn’t particularly want to give it to you! "

/ Checking out a used tractor #4  
Pilot,

You can also check the following;

- # of operating hours.
- Condition & levels of engine oil, transmission oil, front axel oil, power steering oil.
- Condition of air filter.
- Check all lights including flasher warning lights.
- Radiator coolant level.
- Condition of fan belt & tension. (No more than 1/2" slack)
- Can also check battery. With tractor on, voltage at battery terminals should be approx. 14 to 14.75V indicating a healthy recharge system.
- Operating levers are not sticking.
- Safety devices / start permissives are functioning. (i.e. should not be able to start tractor when it is in gear or parking brake is not engaged.)
- Of course take a test drive. Raise & lower 3 pt. hitch & FEL.
- For NH TC series tractors, make sure engine temp gets up to mid scale by 5 to 10 minutes after first starting.
- PTO shaft cap.

I'm sure there's lots more & I'll leave that to the more experienced guys on the forum. The TBN tractor guide is probably a worthwhile item to get, unfortunately don't know what's in it as I had difficulty ordering it.

Vic