Chinese Gaming Limits

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #11  
There was a episode on the radio problem 'Fresh Air' where the guest is the Director of an addiction clinic at Stanford University. She feels that smartphones are addictive along with social media. I don't recall her mentioning video games but it would make sense. I have a nephew who I believe spends a unhealthy amount of time playing those games. I have mentioned my concern to his father.
We'll need to add TBN to the list. :unsure: :giggle:

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #12  
I follow what our friends in China are doing out of interest. If I was still in school, I would want to learn to speak the language. Fortunately, I am too old to worry much about them, but they will be a force to be reckoned with.
I agree 100%. Their resources, both natural and human, dwarf ours. And they are hungry for power.
If you look at history, the US is rally just a flash in the pan. It wasn't until WWII and the aftermath that we really made a name for ourselves, since then the very things which that generation did to earn us respect have been transferred to China.

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #13  
I follow what our friends in China are doing out of interest. If I was still in school, I would want to learn to speak the language. Fortunately, I am too old to worry much about them, but they will be a force to be reckoned with.
I remember the series "Firefly", set 500 years into the future (or something like that). Anyway, all that was left in the human race was a mixture of English and Mandarin. Appears a lot of science fiction is becoming reality.

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #15  
I remember the series "Firefly", set 500 years into the future (or something like that). Anyway, all that was left in the human race was a mixture of English and Mandarin. Appears a lot of science fiction is becoming reality.
A lot of Sci-Fi writers would also make good scientists... or perhaps they are. At the very least they often are tuned into leading edge science. One day when I was fresh out of college we were out in the woods trying to figure out where we were on an aerial photograph. My coworker said "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a dot on this, showing where we are?"
Now I create a photographic map in Arc, upload it to my phone and have a dot which shows me exactly where I am. Blake was a technocrat and had probably read what was then just a concept, in "Science" magazine.

/ Chinese Gaming Limits
A lot of Sci-Fi writers would also make good scientists... or perhaps they are. At the very least they often are tuned into leading edge science. One day when I was fresh out of college we were out in the woods trying to figure out where we were on an aerial photograph. My coworker said "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a dot on this, showing where we are?"
Now I create a photographic map in Arc, upload it to my phone and have a dot which shows me exactly where I am. Blake was a technocrat and had probably read what was then just a concept, in "Science" magazine.
Isaac asimov wrote both science fiction and physics textbooks. i heard he was the go to guy if you were writing a science fiction book and had to find out if your ideas were reasonable.....or possible.

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #17  

Agreed.. Why kids take Spanish is beyond me. Do we not have enough Spanish speakers already here? I’d study Russian before Spanish.

Mandarin first.

China is serious about leading and education is the way to do it. Compare that to what we are teaching in our schools..

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #19  
Agreed.. Why kids take Spanish is beyond me. Do we not have enough Spanish speakers already here? I’d study Russian before Spanish.

Mandarin first.

China is serious about leading and education is the way to do it. Compare that to what we are teaching in our schools..
During the Clinton administration the government looked at what kind of threat China could pose to us from the educational standpoint. I addended a presentation on it. They looked at how many people were going to college in the 2 countries. The US was "educating" many more people, but when you looked into the details you saw that the US was "educating" lots in programs that aren't largely useful for a countries educational power. There was a plot showing a large increase in the number of people majoring in "Parks & Rec." In China, it was mainly engineers and scientist. Not many in China study political science.

/ Chinese Gaming Limits #20  
My theory is they are doing this to identify the kids who will circumvent these restrictions. They will then put them into sweatshops hacking US information systems.