Chinese/Japanese labels?

/ Chinese/Japanese labels? #1  

Mickey_Fx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204
After the recent purchase of my gray Yanmar I decided I needed to know what all the labels were saying. Had my son give pics to someone where he works for translation. To my surprise my son told me the person he gave the pics to said some of the writing was in Japanese and some in Chinese. Can this be correct or more likely there were some words/terms for Ag equipment this person didn't recconize the characters for? I do know Japanese is a derivative of Chinese and some characters and word meanings are the same in both languages even though pronounced differently.

Anyone know?

/ Chinese/Japanese labels? #2  
"more likely there were some words/terms for Ag equipment this person didn't recconize the characters for?'

I suspect this is the case. My cousin's wife is Japanese and works as a Japanese/English translator. A few years back I sent her some pictures of gray market labels to translate for me. She said a lot of the Japanese symbols do not directly translate to anything in English, and it took her and her English speaking husband with a limited knowledge of tractors to translate the labels into anything that I would understand.

/ Chinese/Japanese labels? #3  
Since they're sold around the world, maybe the labels were in Chinese as well as Japanese?

A lifetime ago I worked as an import car mechanic. I had the task of overhauling the engine in a Maserati 3500, we had a manual with specs, but it was in Italian, so we called the Italian consulate and they sent someone over. He could read the words in the book, but couldn't translate them as he didn't have a clue as to what it meant, since the terms were all technical, and he wasn't!

/ Chinese/Japanese labels?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "more likely there were some words/terms for Ag equipment this person didn't recconize the characters for?'

I suspect this is the case. My cousin's wife is Japanese and works as a Japanese/English translator. A few years back I sent her some pictures of gray market labels to translate for me. She said a lot of the Japanese symbols do not directly translate to anything in English, and it took her and her English speaking husband with a limited knowledge of tractors to translate the labels into anything that I would understand. )</font>

Thanks. It doesn't make sense that some of the characters are in Chinese. I'm with you thinking that some of the info is specific to ag equipment and the party trying to read is unfamiliar with them. You are likely to be correct in that a second party familiar with farm equipment/tractors will be necessary to get a decent translation.

/ Chinese/Japanese labels? #5  
Japanese use Chinese characters, it is normal.