Chipper Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft

/ Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft #1  

dolai

Tractor
Jiangsu Model 504
Hello. I have found a couple sources for the infeed drum driveline/driveshaft replacements:
https://affordabletractorsalesco.co...enter&sub_category=Woodchipper Parts&scid=154
Infeed driveshaft-woodchipper- u joint style

But I saw this video on YT:
Jinma 3PT Chipper Driveshaft Mods - YouTube
And I thought that this driveshaft looks a little more robust.

Does anyone have any other sources?
Mine has the CV-style linkage now (the distal end stripped). The square measures about 0.52''.

Thanks...

/ Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft #2  
Mine fell apart, the u-joints were held together with cheap wire pins. It was operating at the time - in pasture grass - so I never found all the pieces. One end was still intact though, so I immediately replaced the wire pin with nested roll pins. Then I took it to a machinist and had him fabricate the opposite end to match. That $65 repair job has now been operating safely and efficiently at least 4 times more operating hours than did the OE shaft (as-built)

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft #4  
I don't like the engineering concept at all; two belt pulleys turning a mini-transmission, which in uses a failure-prone spring-loaded shaft to transfer power right back to within inches of the point of origin; a complicated 360 degree round trip from pulley to feed roller. It would seem much more sensible to remove that entire assembly from the chipper. Then replace that first pulley with 90 degree engageable step down gears, directly powering the feed roller. A simple lever should be all that's necessary to engaged/disengaged the drive and driven gears, a far less complicated method of turning the feed roller on and off. Might even be cheaper.
worm.jpgbevel.jpg

//greg//

/ Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft
I agree that the engineering as it stands is horrible, but how would your alteration allow for the vertical translation of the feed drum while remaining engaged to accomodate differently-sized material?

/ Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft #6  
Good point. My concept would clearly need refinement. What by the way is a Jiangsu 504. That's a new one on me.

//greg//

/ Chinese (Jinma-Type) PTO Chipper Feed Drum Driveshaft
Yeah, I can't really think of a great way to keep that drive engaged. I think that hydro would be preferable...

The Jiangsu 504 is more or less the same as the other Chinese model 504s. Photo:
P1020491.JPG
This one was rebadged and sold by Hardy Diesel (I think they just do Chinese generators now) in 2000 or 2001. I'm the second owner. It's a decent tractor. Those are a Kelley FEL and backhoe (DL3000 and B851, respectively) on it.