Chinese knockoff saws?

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #61  
I wonder if those on here that like Chinese knock offs would like them if it was their own research, their own design, their own blood, sweat and tears that built, marketed and sold a product only to see some Chinese company copy the design and cut into or push them out of business. I bet not.

Okay we get it - sounds like you would like all Chinese and other chainsaw spare parts & equipment copiers either close down the shop, or at least not be able to sell anything in USA.

Do you want the same for all other OEM spare part manufacturers who are copying for example car spare parts - or is it just the chainsaws?

Or is it only the fact that they offer a 100% set of spare parts where customer can assemble a complete saw if they wish, or is it that you just don't like chicoms?

I on the other hand want to have some competition for the usually outrageously priced OEM spare parts, whether it's car parts, chainsaw parts or any other equipment we are using!

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #62  
Okay we get it - sounds like you would like all Chinese and other chainsaw spare parts & equipment copiers either close down the shop, or at least not be able to sell anything in USA.

Do you want the same for all other OEM spare part manufacturers who are copying for example car spare parts - or is it just the chainsaws?

Or is it only the fact that they offer a 100% set of spare parts where customer can assemble a complete saw if they wish, or is it that you just don't like chicoms?

I on the other hand want to have some competition for the usually outrageously priced OEM spare parts, whether it's car parts, chainsaw parts or any other equipment we are using!
The auto industry releases some prints for certain parts like rotors and brakes for other to manufacture. Those saw copies saw coming out of china is not the case.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #63  
I wonder if those on here that like Chinese knock offs would like them if it was their own research, their own design, their own blood, sweat and tears that built, marketed and sold a product only to see some Chinese company copy the design and cut into or push them out of business. I bet not.
I'm sympathetic to those whose IP ("intellectual property") was reverse-engineered and stolen, definitely.

I definitely prefer to buy the brand name and reward innovation; I'm unlikely to buy a clone, not the least because I have enough money that I can afford to pay up front for a hoped-for higher quality that will reduce my down time, because any time I've got away from my job that I can do "me stuff" I don't want to be screwing around with poorly running equipment.

I am not sympathetic, however, to the companies who shipped blueprints/schematics/manufacturing&jobs to China despite knowing that they as a normal course of their business have always copied what they are supposed to be making for their clients.

Any manufacturer doing business there since the 80's knows what's going to happen if they have chinaInc build stuff for them. They know that their stuff will be copied. I have no idea how they think they're going to stay ahead by doing this.

It's also not my job to hold their hand while they continue to screw themselves.

If Stihl and friends want to build and sell (their own) quality products, they need to make sure that whoever builds it - hopefully themselves, but possibly contract partners - respects IP.

If they practically give away their IP, they shouldn't be surprised if people buy a copy at a significant discount.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #64  
Stihl has 2 manufacturing plants in China....
You also have the OC impact. A good company has tight QC protocols and reject batches with a too high defect rate. Let's say 10% defect. The batch is rejected and then sold at auction (or however) and the product goes to the secondary market. Now 90% of those are just as good as OEM, a good sellers replaces the 10% no questions asks and still makes a killing selling at less than 50% of OEM.
THAT is one reason why the Ebay and Amazon stuff is hit or miss. You may get the EXACT oem part.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #65  

I was not referring to spare/replacement "parts".

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #66  
Still laughing. Wont even talk about when I was stationed in Turkey in middle of desert.

Go into town 20km away and you would see brand new 57 64 chevys with diesel engines in the early 80's.

Patents run out and things are free to made.

You folks keep on believing what you want. 🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #67  
Still laughing. Wont even talk about when I was stationed in Turkey in middle of desert.

Go into town 20km away and you would see brand new 57 64 chevys with diesel engines in the early 80's.

Patents run out and things are free to made.

You folks keep on believing what you want. 🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
Definitely true about patents running out, but that only matters if they care about legal niceties.
Many things they copy are under patent and/or trademark with little consequence; fly-by-night importers are set up and by the time you file suit against them, they close up shop and open a new one.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #68  
So I bought one of these 72's today on Whatnot (the auction site) for $43. I've been following the chainsaw threads for a while and have been seeing these on Whatnot for some time on and off. This is the cheapest I've ever seen it and had to buy one just to see what I thought of it.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #69  
Think I said I bought a Neo-Tech a while ago and it was a POS and I gave it away to someone I didn't particularly like. I'll stick with my Echo's and Stihl's.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.