Chinese knockoff saws?

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #71  
Yep it was mentioned. I do wonder what it'll be like when I get it next week. Also, would sending it to someone like XYZ be a good idea to go over it and make it worthwhile ? Just a thought.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #72  
I see no logic in that at all. Why would you buy a cheap Chinese chainsaw and then send it to a guy like XYZ to have him go over it (and charge you), I don't get that at all, when you could buy an Echo or a Husky or a Stihl for a bit more money and not have to fiddle with it and no matter if he fiddles with it and charges you, you still have a cheap Chinese chainsaw..

Makes no sense to me. Please explain your logic in that.

Like I stated, bought one on a lark and gave it away. It may be different now as I did that a couple years ago but cheap is cheap and you always get what you pay for.

Good luck.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #73  
IMO not worth 3hrs one way driving and not worth shipping. Those 380 038 clones are not in my wheel house anyway and I read alot of issues with those.

IMO I would have spent the extra on a G372xp clone when they were $89 recently for OE ones plus shipping.

g372xpht.jpg

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #74  
I had to laugh when I saw this in a local pawn shop.

still_saw-jpg.851447

For something you need a large saw for a short term project, a Chinese import may make sense. Although that could be bouncing around your garage for decades. Or you could purchase a used saw that could be a bit of a gamble whether it will even start.

I've been moving towards electric saws for quite some time. And, I'm quite happy with my new 60V Greenworks and 82V Greenworks 20" electric saws. I'm waiting for the Greenworks 24" HOG saw to come out, perhaps this fall.

Most of what cut is pretty small, but this thing rips through wood like a hot knife through butter, and doesn't balk at larger stuff either. This is the 82V model, the 60V model is similar enough that it is a much better deal.

Greenworks.jpg

As the battery electric saws come to market, we'll likely see quite a shake up of the traditional saw market.

Stihl has a very nice, and very expensive line of electrics, but I don't think they're better than other brands.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #75  
Thanks all for the advise. I figured that for the $44 bucks I have into it now I'll find out how it goes. I've tinkered with a ton of old saws my dad owned over the decades. Some of those I thought were big piles of heavy junk. This one might just be the same.

As for the "why did you buy that". Mostly just because like all of you I like to tinker with stuff. Mostly electro mechanical stuff with an emphasis on electrical side usually.

/ Chinese knockoff saws? #76  
I wonder if those on here that like Chinese knock offs would like them if it was their own research, their own design, their own blood, sweat and tears that built, marketed and sold a product only to see some Chinese company copy the design and cut into or push them out of business. I bet not.

If you think that’s bad (and I do, too) wait until you see the cloned Chinese nuclear reactors that are coming out. lol

I bet they’re 99% as safe as the reactors GE or Westinghouse spent billion on researching & designing.

Now the chinese have all the design patents.

Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. 😁

Last edited:
   / Chinese knockoff saws? #77  
I don’t doubt the Chinese can make a fine saw for less than the big brand names, but it’s doing business with someone who has lab leaks, steals patents and threatens other countries with hostile takeovers that has me pumping the brakes on buying their stuff.

But hey, my John Deere CX-15 with it’s Chinese made 260HP gearboxes runs great. 😆

Last edited:
   / Chinese knockoff saws? #79  
G888 copy of Gen 2 MS880 next to a Homelite 2000 I sold to collector friend.

Just to show my tag on it for kicks years back.

Also did one with - redneck saw that has been dicked with - on one I owned.

g88still.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chinese knockoff saws? #80  
Most folks forget stihl makes parts in China factory for 20 years or so.

Patents run out and stuff is sold off. How you think they copy the older saws. ;)

Where you think those parts come from when it says made from domestic and foreign parts in your stuff. Heck even the pro saws have the China made parts in them.

Check into it sometime. Used to see new chevys in 57's and 64's in Turkey when lived there in mid 80's.

s250china.jpg