Chipper accident

/ Chipper accident #31  
I think I'm usually a safe aware guy of what I'm using and doing and think some safety devices are an overkill put only in place for weekend warrior, unaware, inexperienced folks to use potentially dangerous equipment but, After reading these posts and usually operating my own 3pt self feeding chipper alone, It makes me really appreciate the "last chance bar" and respect the dangers of this piece of equipment, more.

/ Chipper accident #32  
Dont wear loose clothing or unbuttoned pockets! Also a bit more limbing before you throw in a larger tree is a good idea.

/ Chipper accident #33  
I've learned the hard way about chipping whole trees. I only chip young pines. Thinning my pine stands. Lift the butt up and rest on the edge of the chipping intake chute. Go out to about 3/4 of the length of the tree - lift - start it sliding down the intake chute. These trees vary from six to thirty feet tall.

Once it starts chipping - let go and BACK OFF. A whole lot of times the chipping action will cause the tree to whip. If you are still holding the tree or standing close - you will get whipped also.

It HURTS like the blue blazes.........

I've tried to reach down the intake chute on my Wallenstein BX62S. I'm just too big and come up about 14" short of the blades. However - one never knows what could happen if loose clothing got snagged - etc.

I treat my chipper with all due respect.

/ Chipper accident #34  
I've learned the hard way about chipping whole trees. I only chip young pines. Thinning my pine stands. Lift the butt up and rest on the edge of the chipping intake chute. Go out to about 3/4 of the length of the tree - lift - start it sliding down the intake chute. These trees vary from six to thirty feet tall.

Once it starts chipping - let go and BACK OFF. A whole lot of times the chipping action will cause the tree to whip. If you are still holding the tree or standing close - you will get whipped also.

It HURTS like the blue blazes.........
Always wear the proper safety gear. I always wear a forestry helmet with a mesh face shield. They're not that expensive (maybe 50 bucks)
I know about the whipping...always step back as soon as the feed roller grabs the butt but sometimes I'm not quick enough. That face shield helped...

/ Chipper accident #35  
1635634304149.jpeg

/ Chipper accident #37  
I hope that fellow had the "start" keys in his pocket.

/ Chipper accident
Based on the tools and what appears to be the drive shaft in the RR portion of the photo I believe that he has it covered. Yet my first thought when seeing it was that a "lockout/tagout" was in order.