Chipper Chipper Heaven

/ Chipper Heaven #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi gang,

Well after reading all of the chipper threads on here for about a year now, and watching everything that came up on e-bay for the last few months, I finally snagged a Morbark/Busy Beaver Model 125 from e-bay. What an awesome tool! It was bought new in 1993 by a gentleman farmer in Wisconsin, and has been used a total of about 25 hours. It is in like new condition, has been kept inside, and even the paint and decals are nearly perfect. We ran it for a few hours Monday, and my wife and even my MIL had a blast stuffing full trees in it. Then on the way home, my wife says that now she's thinking we will need to buy another tractor, because we just have too many cool implements, and too often need to use multiple ones at the same time. Life is good!!

(Sorry for the long brag, but this chipper has me STOKED!)

Attachments

• 820879-chipper1.jpg
    820879-chipper1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,060
   / Chipper Heaven #2  
man i wish i could afford one for my brush! could use the chips, looks like a great machine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chipper Heaven #3  
Let's see here... Your WIFE tells you that you need a SECOND TRACTOR..........DO NOT EVER LET HER GO!!!!!!!
It was like pulling teeth convincing my wife to even get a FIRST tractor. Now, after she sees what all I can get accomplished with mine, she is okay with my purchase. Still yet, a second tractor would be totally out of the question. I have to laugh. I overheard her talking to a friend of hers on the phone the other day. They were talking about the tractor for some reason and she made the comment "Yeah, he uses the tractor just about every day. He even uses it to go get the mail".
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Chipper Heaven #4  
JRobyn

Life is good - I have an issue simmaler but differant - I have a L4330 last summer I finally convinced my wife that we needed a Kubota ZD20 - http://kubota.com/f/products/ZG20.cfm -

Now I can never use the mower she is on it all the time - we have about 30-35 hours on it only about 2 are mine.

I guess I can thank she is mowing though!!

/ Chipper Heaven #5  
What diameter tree will it eat?

How heavy is it?

/ Chipper Heaven
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I have NO intentions of letting her go anywhere!! She also said that tractors make her almost as happy as diamonds make "regular" girls. Later, I mentioned to her that after the chipper purchase, diamonds for Valentines day would probably be out of the question, much less a second tractor. She clarified that she didn't need a second tractor, but she thought a second one would be good for me, since she was worried that I would hog HER tractor too much!

She's definitely a keeper.

/ Chipper Heaven
Holzster,

Girls and machinery! Ya gotta love it! Mine loves to mow too. She says it's theraputic. When we bushhog, I only get seat time after she gets too sunburnt!

/ Chipper Heaven
Hi Pete,

That ME's not from Ga Tech is it?

Chipper is rated as 6". We threw some stuff up to about 4" at it, and the only time it loaded the 4330 noticeably is when it went through some heavy crotches (you know, branch points; maybe CT Tree Guy can say what they're supposed to be called). With green/soft wood, it would likely handle 7", but anything over 4" is firewood to me!

Spec sheet lists the weight at 1420#, but it may run a little more than that. When we picked it up from the trailer with the FEL, it nearly mashed my poor front tires flat.

/ Chipper Heaven #9  
HI JAY,
Morbark has been in business a long long time.They are the makers of the large sawmill chippers,from alot of mills up here in MAINE,including the big place im at now.It has a long vibrating conveyor with metal detecter,a shaker tray to seperate the fines[the paper companys are fussy over quality] We also had to install a large auger system the whole length of the mill,overhead,because they dont like them going through blowers,the sizes have to be perfect.Neat operation,just to get rid of waste products
ALAN

/ Chipper Heaven #10  
I hope you have better luck than I have with my PTO Bearcat. It seems to dull the chipper blades rather quickly. That may be my fault because I collect brush over a few months then chip it all at once. The manual says to mix green and dry stuff to keep the blades from heating up and losing the edge too quickly.. but rarely do I have green stuff.. just after the spring trimming. Mostly I'm chipping downers.. dead limbs from storms and the like.

Not sure about your machine.. mine does NOT have any kind of feed mechanism.. it just pulls the stuff in.. when it stops pulling the blades are dulled. It'll still chip.. but you have to push it in.