Chipper Shredder

/ Chipper Shredder #41  
Hopefully someone can give me some advice.
I am looking into a chipper / shredder for my own personal use.
I have about 5 acres, half is wooded.
I want to expand my yard and cut down a few trees, make some trails and overall improve the property.
I was hoping to spend somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a good quality machine that would help me with clean up.
Of course less than $1000 is OK as well.
Mostly pruned limbs, some small trees.
Anything big enough for firewood would be cut to size and used as such.
Anyone have any experience with these machines?
And I am not opposed to using a PTO type for my Kubota.
I'm just doing the research now and figuring out my options.
Thanks for any thing you can share.
I have 53 acres, mostly wooded. I bought this chipper one year ago. 3-Point Wood Chipper Attachments
Best purchase I ever made. I have run mountains of brush through it.

Attachments

• 198265_01.jpg
    198265_01.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 63
   / Chipper Shredder #42  
The difference between a diesel driven PTO and gasoline driven separate chipper or shredder is BIG. Virtually NO stalls from the PTO unit vs. many on a gasoline driven separate machine. Even on my 18.5 hp diesel tractor, I don't recall ever having stalled the engine on it using the Mac.
My SGE ZTR says 28 hp at 3600 rpm, while my Case/IH diesel CUT says 26hp at 2850 rpm. The difference is the torque developed in the calculation It's one reason why we have diesel vs gas tractors, so I agree with a guy who has used both for similar tasks. :coffee:

/ Chipper Shredder #43  
Welp, the diesel PTO vs gasoline differance on my units is not noticeable. I've never stalled either the PTO driven Woodland WC 68 nor the Mac.SC1650 gasser .....Feeding too much of anything can bog either machine down or even stall one if a extra large chunk gets jammed. So IMHO there is little differance in the ability of the machines in question when used acccording to their individual specifications.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Chipper Shredder #44  
I've had the MacKissic TPH-188 (Their largest, what ever the model) for over 8 years.

I've got only a couple acres of New England hardwood forest to keep up. A mix of mostly sugar maple, scattered with hemlock and a few pine and hickory. ONE GIANT RED OAK Towers out back ;-)

I USE everything that passes through the chipper/shredder to improve the soil. When the power company sends out the line trimming crew, I ask for the chips and then run those rough chips through the shredder.

The unit works great!

What it won't do is chip larger than 6 inches, but that is fire wood to me.

It also won't Shred WET soil, or leaves as the hammer mill shredder screen clogs. When running a pile of leaves, I keep a pile of wind downed tree branches at the ready to scrub out the shredder chamber when needed.

I use the shredder function more than the chipper, but both are needed.

If you are getting rid of waste just to be rid of it, fire is a lot less work. I used to burn, but now I find more pleasure in the garden soil building. The loader makes turning the piles a breeze! ;-)

/ Chipper Shredder #45  
I've had the MacKissic TPH-188 (Their largest, what ever the model) for over 8 years.

I've got only a couple acres of New England hardwood forest to keep up. A mix of mostly sugar maple, scattered with hemlock and a few pine and hickory. ONE GIANT RED OAK Towers out back ;-)

I USE everything that passes through the chipper/shredder to improve the soil. When the power company sends out the line trimming crew, I ask for the chips and then run those rough chips through the shredder.

The unit works great!

What it won't do is chip larger than 6 inches, but that is fire wood to me.

It also won't Shred WET soil, or leaves as the hammer mill shredder screen clogs. When running a pile of leaves, I keep a pile of wind downed tree branches at the ready to scrub out the shredder chamber when needed.

I use the shredder function more than the chipper, but both are needed.

If you are getting rid of waste just to be rid of it, fire is a lot less work. I used to burn, but now I find more pleasure in the garden soil building. The loader makes turning the piles a breeze! ;-)

Is it actually a TPH-188? Don't see that model on their site nor did it come up in google. TPH185 or TPH184??? Is it a PTO model?

Thanks!

/ Chipper Shredder #46  
Is it actually a TPH-188? Don't see that model on their site nor did it come up in google. TPH185 or TPH184??? Is it a PTO model?

Thanks!
TPH= Three point hitch, yes PTO driven, Whatever the largest chipper shredder model, whatever number.