Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540?

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
My brother-in-law is looking for a PTO chipper, and I've recommended the model I have, which is now called a Crary Bear Cat CH5540: CH5540 | Crary Bearcat Products

I've found it to be a good machine for occasional use around the homestead, and I think it's a good match for his tractor.

But since dealer availability is important, I'm wondering what else is in the same class in case the Bear Cat is not available near him. I recall someone here saying the same machine is sold under a different brand. And I know there are other brands made in the US that many have comparable models. Any suggestions?

PS - don't bother with suggesting he needs a power feed model; after 20 years experience with manual feed I'm not listening. <g>

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #2  
I have a Bearcat chipper/shredder that I’m very happy with and I have to say that I don’t understand why you believe that dealer availability is important. The machine is simple, chipper blades are relatively easy to sharpen or change, although they are a little bit of a project. Mine has never been to a dealer. Bearings last seemingly forever.

I know I didn’t answer your question.

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540?
... I have to say that I don’t understand why you believe that dealer availability is important.
Good point. I wasn't thinking about service, but availability and possible competition on price. For me, the Bear Cat site says my nearest dealer is now 60 miles away, but the nearest one that admits on its website to be a Bear Cat dealer is 90 miles away.

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #4  
At the price listed for the chipper linked to - Wallenstein chippers would be a good alternate. I've had two. First the BX42S - now the BX62S. Both were/are manual feed. I've had the BX62S for eight years. Still on the original side of the blades. I thin my pine stands and chip 800-1200 small( 1" to 6" on the butt ) pines - every other year. Blades are still sharp enough to slice a piece of paper.

The maintenance - I do myself. Grease the two bearings at the end of the spring chipping season. Coat the chipper blades with grease at the same time I grease the bearings.

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #5  
Hi,

I had a Woods 5000 AKA Bearcat chipper was a good unit. Bought one of the new Woodmaxx MX8600 that are made in the USA. I love this chipper, super quality and self contained hydraulic feed. I think it is the best chipper on the market right now in this size and very easy and safe to operate. I think mine was about $4K delivered and a great match for my class I New Holland. Check them out. Customer service is really good.

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #6  
Bought this years ago, have not used it in many years. Paid $1500 when it was in nearly new. Blades could use a sharpening now. Need to dust it off and remove the blades. I really like being able to throw piles of small stuff into the shredder hopper to be chewed up. Only thing that is a negative, it's opening is only for 4" branches.

Attachments

• Chipper2.jpg
    Chipper2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 43
   / Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540? #7  
No matter what brand the chipper/shredder is, it's only as good as the blades are sharp. Just like a chainsaw. No matter how big the saw or chipper) is, a dull chain or dull knives will render the units to run poorly. I sharpen a ton of commercial wood chipper blades in the shop. Commercial wood cutters know dull blades not only produce stringy chips and clog chutes but waste expensive fuel as well. That also applies to residential units as well. Sold my pto chipper years ago. I roast the stuff now, cause I'm a pyro anyway.

/ Chippers Comparable to Bear Cat CH5540?
Bought this years ago, have not used it in many years.
That's exactly the same model as the one I bought 26 years ago. I hated that I had to rake out the chips from underneath it every few minutes. So I soon replaced it with a straight chipper with a blower that gets the chips out of the way.