Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #91  
Florida and PA got covered in houses and strip malls.
California never had the water to cover the crops that the politicians brought there. Never made sense to grow orange in CA while Florida grew condos.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #92  
...and when that drain isn't flowing well, the 'Big Guy' is right there with his plunger....

E-gas and biodiesel have to be 2 of the worst products to ever be foisted on the American consumer.

Far as vegetable production is concerned, this are I live in is mostly truck farms and sauce tomato production.
I
Not grain or legumes. Take a look at the yearly decline in fresh vegetables & fruits, not grains, grown in this country.
It will shock you when you see how much that used to be grown in Florida and Kalifornia is now imported from Mexico.

This country is circling the drain if not one foot in the drain. We need to change course immediately and start making/growing/mining & drilling here again and NOW
We are drilling for petroleum products at a record pace. Stop stating contrary information.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #93  
Not grain or legumes. Take a look at the yearly decline in fresh vegetables & fruits, not grains, grown in this country.
It will shock you when you see how much that used to be grown in Florida and Kalifornia is now imported from Mexico.

This country is circling the drain if not one foot in the drain. We need to change course immediately and start making/growing/mining & drilling here again and NOW
Fruits and vegetables are mostly produced in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. And some other southern states, but primarily California. Yes some production occurs in northern states also, but most are from the locations I listed. The largest producers are in areas that have been experiencing severe drought conditions for the past several years and increasing production isn’t going to happen until wet years replenish reservoirs and streams. So we should consider ourselves fortunate that importing these products from Mexico is economically feasible.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #95  
All the states- California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas were never wet states to start with, especially California.
Florida up to Georgia were perfect. Where do Peaches, sugar cane and oranges come from today? Certainly not the east coast in any volume.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #96  
All the states- California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas were never wet states to start with, especially California.
Florida up to Georgia were perfect. Where do Peaches, sugar cane and oranges come from today? Certainly not the east coast in any volume.
My understanding is that Florida oranges are mainly produced for juice and most whole citrus fruits are from CA and TX. Arizona used to produce a lot, but those fields were lost to urban development. There are huge areas of sugar cane produced in Louisiana and Florida and I’m sure elsewhere. I know CA produces a lot of peaches and tree fruits, and I assume GA still does. Most that we get where I live come from CA. Interestingly enough, my state is frequently the number one producer of pecans, even though some years the number 1 and 2 spots are traded between NM and GA.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #97  
While it might seem that there's a lot of sugar grown in the Florida, total U.S. sugar cane production is small potatoes.

Who grows sugar cane?

2FFFB03E-C035-4799-9064-064929FC17F1.png

Who eats the most sugar?

82425F76-6B00-417A-BC7A-353A268EA207.png

/ Choice: food or solar fields #99  
From January SunTimes
If the estimate holds true, Florida would have smallest orange crop since the 1944-1945 season, when the state produced 42.3 million boxes, and California would surpass it in orange production for the first time in recent years.
From USDA:

Florida used to produce almost all of the oranges and grapefruits for the US when I was a kid. Cali had Valencia (Juice)as majority crop but switched to Naval in the 70's.

Florida peaked around 1980 with over 200 Million boxes, and that coresponds with the population growth spurt from then til today. This year 42Million.............

/ Choice: food or solar fields #100  
From January SunTimes
If the estimate holds true, Florida would have smallest orange crop since the 1944-1945 season, when the state produced 42.3 million boxes, and California would surpass it in orange production for the first time in recent years.
From USDA:

Florida used to produce almost all of the oranges and grapefruits for the US when I was a kid. Cali had Valencia (Juice)as majority crop but switched to Naval in the 70's.

Florida peaked around 1980 with over 200 Million boxes, and that coresponds with the population growth spurt from then til today. This year 42Million.............
Lots of Florida groves lost to urban development?