Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #182  
Energy is not restricted to heating only; that is only a small part of the world's and nation's energy packet. In the whole it is electricity that is required for the big major part, and water of 80C (175F) does not make any of that.

Heat is energy. It can be converted to other forms like Electricity.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #183  
Guess of there is an acute food shortage, you can always eat a solar panel but don't have a clue how to prepare it for consumption. :unsure:

/ Choice: food or solar fields #184  
Guess of there is an acute food shortage, you can always eat a solar panel but don't have a clue how to prepare it for consumption. :unsure:

The reality is you eat the products grown under the solar panels!

/ Choice: food or solar fields #186  
   / Choice: food or solar fields #187  
Kind of a nonsensical issue. His panels were on his roof.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #188  
Might work there but here, I doubt it. For one thing, all solar installations around here are much, much lower to the ground which shades the soil and produces nothing but hardy weeds. They install them that way so workers can easily reach them if necessary but also eliminates growing anything (but weeds) below the panels.

Certainly could not propagate corn or wheat or soy beans under them because they all require mechanized planting, cultivation and harvesting and corn especially grows way to high to fit.... You could maybe (and I say maybe) truck farm below them but it would have to be 100% manual planting, cultivation and harvest with either human input or very small machines, not of that is feasible on a commercial scale here. If you really desire a solar array, put them on a roof top or in a parking lot or on land not suitable for growing food crops. Finally, they aren't solar 'farms'. In reality they are all industrial installations.

Personally, I have no issue with any of it (solar/wind/geo-thermal), just place all of it on non productive land, nit on prime ag ground. To me, roof tops or asphalt parking lots or any non crop producing ground would seem to be ideal. Like I said elsewhere, none of the ground I own will ever be covered with solar panels because it's all prime ag ground.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #189  
Kind of a nonsensical issue. His panels were on his roof.
I was poking fun, put your humor hat on this AM.... I still want to know how to prepare them for consumption??? Look to me to be very hard to digest... :p

/ Choice: food or solar fields #190  
Odd that you would set up that system and after payoff you decide to move. Are you going to do the same thing at your current residence?
Not sure how odd that is, life does change you know. The money that solar added to the sale of the house was about what we paid, so more profit.
It is being considered, new panels are producing so much more power, but our power provider doesn't participate in net metering. I've never heard of that before, but they are a very small company. I know battery storage has dropped considerable in the last 15 years, but it would add to payoff.