Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #1  

DutchInNZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
Zetor 5745
Being assertive on climate change is one thing, but tens of thousands of acres of food-producing farming land going lost because of assumptions from predictive computer models? Under a solar field grows nothing, not even weeds. But of course, food can then be brought in by ship from Asia

Not one of all these climate models, when tested against historical climate data of the last century, gives a better result than 50%. Computer models can't even predict the stock exchange over one whole week.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #2  
Has anyone plugged into the equation what happens when after 2035 only electric new cars will be available? Of course with the Colorado River putting less water behind the dams it may free up thousands of acres in farmland to become solar energy sources. Hmmm, I wonder where we'll get all the lithium for the batteries and who will handle the waste stream of production and recycling. It's all above my pay grade to ponder but I'm sure the government will solve all the problems.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #3  
Just like the push into EV's, there is a growing sector of "farming", test tube food. Snicker if you will, I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, but scifi is here already with flying cars, self driving cars etc. Food has been worked on in labs for years. When will that timing be right?

/ Choice: food or solar fields #4  
Just like the push into EV's, there is a growing sector of "farming", test tube food.
I tried some of that vegetarian manufactured "meat" (Beyond, I think) a year or so ago. Once was enough. It was nasty, neither taste nor texture even vaguely resembled meat.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #8  
Being assertive on climate change is one thing, but tens of thousands of acres of food-producing farming land going lost because of assumptions from predictive computer models? Under a solar field grows nothing, not even weeds. But of course, food can then be brought in by ship from Asia

Not one of all these climate models, when tested against historical climate data of the last century, gives a better result than 50%. Computer models can't even predict the stock exchange over one whole week.

Good question. Life is funny, pendulums swing, what goes up must come down........

We live in interesting times. I think (hope) we live in a country that at the end of the day, rewards contributions while respecting individual rights. We see news all the time that contradicts that belief, but, over 250 years, we have pulled back to reality enough to survive and thrive, I hope we continue for a while.

Best,

ed

/ Choice: food or solar fields #9  
Not always either-or.

solar-farming.jpg

In the desert.

Bruce

/ Choice: food or solar fields #10  
Build 'em in deserts? Nah, not here - that's too far from the population centres hugging the coastline. Put 'em in good farmland - much more convenient!

Solar farms - Oz style.jpg