Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #231  
You miss the point. The point is if people are going to get on their sanctimonious high horse about how awful so-called clean energy is, why are they not concerned with how awful the impacts of petroleum are, which are several orders of magnitude worse? The point is you can't give up on trying to get better because today's better solution isn't perfect. The point is that if we know nothing else it's that we can't keep doing what we've been doing.

To complain about the environmental damage caused by 'clean energy' is so utterly absurd compared to what we've been doing for decades with oil and gas it makes me shudder. What we call 'clean energy' has a lot of issues - anyone even remotely knowledgeable about the topic understands this already - but we're getting better every day. If you're going to take a stand against it at least offer up a legitimate argument, and maybe offer up a better solution as well. Pointing out that clean energy isn't 100% clean, something everyone already knows, isn't going to cut it.
I did and mine is nukes.
Not perfect, but infinitely better than windmills

/ Choice: food or solar fields #232  
Anyone know about Geothermal Energy? Years ago when my Geologist brother traveled around the Scandinavian countries lots of homes were heated that way.
Basically free energy since the Earth's core is so hot. Also no environmental impact.
Just one of so many choices we have available. Guess what country leads in Geothermal? We do!
"For every unit of electricity the system uses, it provides three to four units of heating energy - an efficiency of 300% to 400%. Geothermal systems can also provide increased energy security protection from inflation in the cost of volatile fossil fuel (natural gas) commodity prices."

/ Choice: food or solar fields #233  
Tomorrow I will pickup some materials at one solar farm and drop at 2 more. I will show you how ugly and useless the land becomes after becoming a solar farm. One was an orange grove, cattle grazing and water melon field. The second one was a row crop field. The third one I have not been to yet.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #234  
Geothermal is available in some places. I think the requirement is it needs to be near the surface to make it practical, some place like Yellowstone for instance.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #235  
You miss the point. The point is if people are going to get on their sanctimonious high horse about how awful so-called clean energy is, why are they not concerned with how awful the impacts of petroleum are, which are several orders of magnitude worse? The point is you can't give up on trying to get better because today's better solution isn't perfect. The point is that if we know nothing else it's that we can't keep doing what we've been doing.

To complain about the environmental damage caused by 'clean energy' is so utterly absurd compared to what we've been doing for decades with oil and gas it makes me shudder. What we call 'clean energy' has a lot of issues - anyone even remotely knowledgeable about the topic understands this already - but we're getting better every day. If you're going to take a stand against it at least offer up a legitimate argument, and maybe offer up a better solution as well. Pointing out that clean energy isn't 100% clean, something everyone already knows, isn't going to cut it.
I did not miss the point you are missing the point. The Green energy that is being forced upon this country is not going to make a big difference. The Green is not as Green as they want you to believe. Facts are facts the US can not produce the lithium that will be needed for the electric cars. Electric cars still cause pollution. Not all people can afford $60,000 cars. "Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) cautioned the audience that climate change would “destroy the planet” by the year 2031", is not going to happen. Solar panel production and decommissioning cause a great deal of water pollution.

I am not saying we should not work to improve the energy sources. Changing the sources just changes the problems as of right now. There are now studies that show that the windmills are changing the wind patterns thus there are increases in the temperature already and with each added windmill the problem increases. Solar farms are being built on farm land and wasting it. As well as destroying wild life habitat. You can watch the heat waves rise up from the panels just like the heat waves in the desert. I guess fossil fuels are not the only thing heating up the earth.

So maybe you need to step down off your high horse.

I will repeat, you can not live with out fossil fuels. Try it even for a single day.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #236  
These discussions are simply not useful. It is not a matter of one energy source or another. Local power companies make investments in different technologies based on their business plans, and no company wants to have all their eggs in one basket. Yes, there used to be subsidies for renewable energy, but most of those have expired, yet companies are still building windmills, solar farms, gas turbines and other sources. Nuclear is about the only modern technology that isn’t being constructed. There is an issue with waste disposal; every state says “not in my backyard.” The best locations for nuclear plants are in the eastern US with abundant water resources, while the best waste disposal locations are in the west in uninhabited arid locations. Lots of logistical issues. I find it interesting that the number one petroleum producing state (Texas) has more windmills than any other state. They are virtually everywhere in west and central Texas. What’s up with that? Companies that have invested in renewables have a payback period in which they will be operable. No company is going to decommission them before they recoup the costs, so these technologies are going to be with us for decades and it’s not worthwhile to complain or debate whether we like them or not. The owners will make those decisions based on their business plans.

Last edited:
   / Choice: food or solar fields
@PuffyC ...which are several orders of magnitude worse?... This is only true if the view window is restricted to your local environment.

@Fuddy:
Good quoting. However, it covers only a small part of what the effects are in total, only the installations while they are in use. The valuation of the over-all effects can only be complete when everything is taken into account, not only that, that is in your direct environment and in your wallet. It starts with children mining the minerals (expected remark: that can be done industrially, but reality is that children do it, the same reality that also includes oil well accidents. Both should not happen.), then refining and processing them which uses so much energy that already there the energy balance goes deeply into the red and the use of fossil energy is impossible to exclude. Then follows the whole production process, which uses even more energy for e.g. melting the glass. How many kW is needed for melting 1 metric ton of glass at 1500Celcius/2750F ? How many windmills and solar panels are necessary for that, considering their real and not their theoretical capacity?

Then come the windmills, each made of hundreds of tons of steel and each with three enormous wings made of glassfibre in epoxy or PU resin. Making glassfibre also requires molten glass and the used epoxy resins come from fossil sources. The leading edges of those wings erode at a very high rate (pictures on google) spreading dust and particles all over the place and blown all over the environment with the wind. That degeneration can be so much that every few months a ton of epoxy and fibre is needed for repairs.

The actual sorrows while using them you already quoted.

Then comes the end of life. Solar panels are not recyclable at all. Windmills give steel, but the wings are also not recyclable and do not fall apart or rot away over time, so after 10 - 15 years thousands of these things have to be buried, just like spent nuclear fuel, only with a few tens of thousands times as much in quantity related to the amount of energy one can get out of each weight unit.

The argument that wind and solar are clean energy is as goal-directed as saying that an electric car does not cause any pollution; if everything is included and considered and accounted for, the balance is maybe even. If you say: "Ah, my electricity bill is almost zero, so I contribute to the green world", you are telling yourself a fairytale, honestly, especially when it is subsidised and thus paid for by everyone.

About a year ago I found a comparison of the total pollution, including really everything from zero to end of final recycling, of a gasoline car, a Diesel and a fully electric one, all in the smaller Tesla category; this investigation was not based on a statistical model but on real accountable data. Because of its production, the electric one started so far worse below the other two that only after 180,000km it came even with the gasoline car and did not reach the level of the Diesel until around 280,000km. (A good and well-adjusted modern Diesel is much more efficient and much less polluting than a gasoline engine) All that was assuming that the electric car did not need a new battery in that period. I did save that link of that investigation somewhere on my machine, but at the moment I can't find it; if I have some more time coming weekend, I will put it up. If you can't wait that long, google is at your service.

Geothermal: The only country in Europe that has all of its energy free from geothermal sources is Iceland. From what I know all the others, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark, are completely dependent on gas and oil. In Norway they drilled to abt. 1,500 metres and there might be something coming from that, but it is still in research whether that is viable and can pay off. Here in New Zealand we get a bit less than 20% out of geothermal. The efficiency of 300-400% that you mention is a figure from a theoretically ideal expansion/compression heat pump at 20 Celsius environment temperature, the input of energy necessary for liquefying the gas by compression; into geothermal you do not put any electricity at all except for some pumping of water into the ground.

@Egon: No offense, but you did not answer my question and came with a value-free opinion. That is laudable, of course, but hardly a contribution to any discussion.

The real problem is, that by now there are 4-5 billion too many people on this earth, especially after the over-exploitation of especially the last hundred years. In the history of two centuries mankind has used the resources that have been built up over few million years and those are finite and not timely replenished in quantity. Mankind can try to stretch it with etherical efforts, but time will come that there really is no more energy and way insufficient food (the predator-prey cycle) and then it is back to living from what in real time is replenished, as in Roman times. Back to less than 1 billion people, left over after starvation and inherent wars. Don't come with something irrelevant that by then people will be able to live on other planets or in space; that is like in the fifties, when they predicted that by 2000 all cars would run their own atomic reactor. A fully recirculating economy is not possible, not even in the most idealistic survival theory; that pesky thing that is called entropy, losses that always and unavoidably occur, always wins. But I am digressing into philosophy there. Sorry.

Last edited:
   / Choice: food or solar fields #238  
I did not miss the point you are missing the point. The Green energy that is being forced upon this country is not going to make a big difference. The Green is not as Green as they want you to believe. Facts are facts the US can not produce the lithium that will be needed for the electric cars. Electric cars still cause pollution. Not all people can afford $60,000 cars. "Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) cautioned the audience that climate change would “destroy the planet” by the year 2031", is not going to happen. Solar panel production and decommissioning cause a great deal of water pollution.

I am not saying we should not work to improve the energy sources. Changing the sources just changes the problems as of right now. There are now studies that show that the windmills are changing the wind patterns thus there are increases in the temperature already and with each added windmill the problem increases. Solar farms are being built on farm land and wasting it. As well as destroying wild life habitat. You can watch the heat waves rise up from the panels just like the heat waves in the desert. I guess fossil fuels are not the only thing heating up the earth.

So maybe you need to step down off your high horse.

I will repeat, you can not live with out fossil fuels. Try it even for a single day.
^^^^Very well stated^^^^

The windmills change wind currents that occur naturally and have a huge affect on wildlife, heat and birds. As said above, solar panels create hot, black deserts.
If we make the switch to wind and solar, there will be thousands of scientists finding hundreds of problems with those 2 sources of energy.
Would a “environmentalist“ want to see huge numbers of birds killed? The planet heated? Animal life or migration impacted?
Geez I remember back in the 70’s when ”environmentalists” didnt want Alaska pipeline built because it impacted Caribou migration, but it’s ok to kill 100’s of thousands of birds now? Hmmmm that’s strange. Where’s the “environmentalism” in that?

Last edited:
   / Choice: food or solar fields #239  
@Egon: No offense, but you did not answer my question and came with a value-free opinion. That is laudable, of course, but hardly a contribution to any discussion.

Your question was answered. All that is required is a fluid that works within the parameters of the max/min heat available. The principles of the Sterling Engine could be utilized.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #240  
Bottom line is anyone on either side wanting to lessen the environmental impact on Earth the best thing is not to have children!
People are what's causing problems...right?