Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
We never tire of wondering which is the right tire--R1 ags, R3 turfs, R4 industrials or bar turfs. We wonder about this before we buy the tractor, and also long after. The problem with asking for advice on this subject is that no one on these forums is likely to have tried all three or four tire types on the same tractor in various conditions on their own property. Therefore, no one has really conducted an actual comparison test.

As a next best approach, I have developed a "rule" to decide which tire to buy, which I think makes sense--the ag elimination rule.

As background, I had bar turfs on my BX2200 and now have industrials on my B2910. Neither scuffed my lawn except on the tightest circle in soft soil (which I think should be expected). Both tires are completely useless in mud. The industrials fill up with mud immediately, just like a turf would. And the industrials don't shed the mud as well as the bar turfs. An ag presumably would shed mud the fastest. The industrials must be better in the snow than turfs, but they do slip, even in 4wd, on a 14 degree slope in snow.

I now think turfs should be considered the most "special use" of all the choices. They should only be considered if finish lawn mowing is what you do 90% or more of your time with your compact tractor. Many people, including me, buy industrials or bar turfs because we are not sure what to buy, and these in-betweers seem a reasonable compromise, psychically if not empirically.

My current view is that, for those of us who are not in the exclusively-lawn-mowing category, ags always should be considered as the tire of choice. Buy something else only if an actual trial on your lawn "eliminates" the ags. What do I mean? For most of us, the ONLY reason we are afraid to buy ags is that they may scuff our lawns. But we don't really know if they will or won't.

So, my rule is: try out ags on your own lawn to see if they eliminate themselves due to excess scuffing. Once you decide on the tractor you want to buy, make a deal with your dealer to try the tractor with ags on your own lawn. He could either give you the trial before you buy, or agree to swap tires after you buy. Ask him; it's reasonable. You probably spent innumerable hours torturing yourself over which tractor to buy, so why not spend a few more hours negotiating and conducting an actual trial of ags in their only potential adverse application. You will thereby save yourself the further torture of post-purchase second guessing that so many of us endure.

Get the ag equipped tractor to your lawn and then run your complete mowing pattern, even if you don't turn the mower on. Pick a day that is of average soil moisture for your climate--i.e., not after a drought or a rain storm. Don't mow in 4wd, unless you need to for traction on a hill, because that will increase scuffing in the turns. Leave your FEL on or off, as you would when actually mowing. (Leaving it off will reduce scuffing at the cost of attachment/detachment effort.)

If the ags are eliminated by intolerable scuffing, then choose industrials. If the scuffing is tolerable, keep the ags and know that you will have the superior tire for mud, snow and other traction situations.

The ag elimination rule. I wish I had thought of it before I bought my 2910.

Glenn

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #2  
Sage advice Glenn, good to have you back /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #4  
My thinking on this is that tires are like an attachment,I am going to get a set of ags with rims to swap when I need to do some work in the muddy areas. I know this may not be a cost effective way on the larger tractors but I think it is one way to have the best of both worlds. Tom

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #5  
Glenmac,

Good to have you back/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I read quite a few of your posts in the archives during my tractor-buying search. I am in CT also, and ended up buying my B2410 from the same dealer as you. I had thought about sending you some questions but wasn't sure if you weren't frequenting TBN anymore. Anyway, thanks for the detailed information you had provided.

Good tire choice summary. One question: I had heard that turfs were the equal or better of the R4s in snow - is that not correct? Just curious.

- Rob

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #6  
glennmac, I think that's good advice. I've never had anything but Ag tires, thought for awhile that I should have gotten R4s, but am back to thinking I went the right direction for my use.

Bird

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #7  
Re: Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Ru

Glenn,
I would have to agree with some of your logic, but turfs are better on hard pack snow or ice over ags. I have had both on my tractor and find that turfs are the better tire for my use. I can plow my ice rink with turfs while the ags just slipped. I guess its the wider foot print that helps. In deep snow the ags are better, but not on the driveway. (same wide foot print) I cut the grass for a year with the ags untill I got the turfs and it did a # on the yard, but that was all I had. I feel that I can go just about anywhere with the turfs as I can with the ags, and maybe more!

18-30445-von.gif

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule
Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

I guess my honest answer would have to be that I don't know how industrials and turfs would compare in the snow. I have never driven turfs at all. The tread pattern is more open on industrials, which would lead me to believe that they "bite" a little better. The industrials were adequate in the snow, but on the steeper slopes, in the deep wet snows we had this winter, they would slip. Fortunately, they did fine on my upsloping driveway, which was the important issue.

Another point: in really soft or wet soil, all the tires will leave impressions.

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #9  
There is another alternative to achieving more traction with turfs. I use tire "traction aids" (chains with rubber belt cross links) on my turf tires in snow. See photo of snowblowing. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/35-27940-snoblo21.jpg
These are intended to prevent scatching on paved surfaces. On soil I would probably prefer tire "chains" if I really needed traction for muddy conditions

/ Choosing the Right Tire--The Ag Elimination Rule #10  
Good rational. But I would also consider if one were to use their tractor in areas of brush clearing. I've heard that R4's are better suited than R1's for this use even if never to be used on a lawn since the tire wall & foot are thicker and more resistent to puncture. For my current use, R1's may help in the mud, but may not hold up to all the traffic through brush...