Christmas card question

/ Christmas card question #11  
Do you think it's appropriate to write "Merry Christmas" on the holiday card for your business?
I would not be offended or threatened if someone wished me the joy/goodwill/friendship of their religious tradition. In that spirit I offer my heartfelt greeting as Merry Christmas. A sincere Happy Hanuka response would please me.

/ Christmas card question #12  
My personal opinion (not business opinion) is that if a customer is actually going to be offended by myself saying "Merry Christmas", I'd probably not want to do business with him because we're not going to "click" anyway. I'm good at what I do, and sooner or later when and if there's a problem, I don't think if I offended that person by saying "Merry Christmas" they would hold it against me to the point where they wouldn't call for me to help them.

That's the nub of the issue in my mind. If a significant majority of people take the same approach, that is the same as establishing a religion. Suppose you couldn't bid on a contract successfully if it were known you aren't the 'right' sort of believer? - for example. The net effect is a loss of freedom of religion and individual rights. Something comparable would be an Orthodox Armenian living in Iran, or a Coptic Christian in Egypt.

If I were in a business situation, I would assume my customers and suppliers work hard for their money too and are also/could be good at what they do. Their religious feelings are just that, theirs - and not a business-related item IMO. If they invited me to their church, synagogue, mosque or summer solstice party, I wouldn't be offended, but I doubt it would influence my business choices.

I wouldn't be sure exactly what I am wishing with a 'Happy Kwanzaa' myself. :) It's a mysterious holiday for many older folks, I believe it began around 1960.
Dave.

/ Christmas card question
That's the nub of the issue in my mind. If a significant majority of people take the same approach, that is the same as establishing a religion.

Not really in my opinion. If someone is sincerely offended by myself saying "Merry Christmas" during the "Christmas holidays", they probably have a bug so big up their butt that I wouldn't be able to remove it even with a stick of dynomite, and sooner or later, be it Christmas time or whenever during the year we're going to "clash". Lifes to short to deal with those kind of people;)

Now, it would be kind of idiotic for me to give them the normal "Christmas greeting" that I'm use to in a Russian Orthodox chuch, so I don't.

Try being a relocated yankee use to dealing with New Jersey and New York contractors working in the baptist south:D Heck, one customer of mine thought I was probably the devil himself when I made a comment to him and I didn't realize he was a part time baptist minister:eek: I now watch my words very carefully around him and we're actually good friends now AND he's a good customer.

I've always said actions speak louder than words, and that even holds true when you say "Merry Christmas".

/ Christmas card question #14  
For more than 25 years my property management business distributes holiday tins of Delacre Chocolate Cookies to all the families that rent from us and a few of the rental neighbors and vendors...

The only year I didn't was the year my father past away 2 weeks before Christmas and I got a lot of calls asking if I forgot about them... some former tenants have asked if they will still be on my list after they move...

My renters celebrate Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Hindi, Native American and traditional Christmas...

Being in the SF Bay Area, not even half celebrate Christmas proper so I just say go with Holiday... and no one has every refused.

At the Hospital where I work, we can only decorate the portion of the lobby not rented to others... the first year in the new building back in 1995 the CEO received a formal letter that all Christmas decorations be removed from a portion of the lobby a particular Doctor is renting... I can only imagine 15 years later that more of the Doctor's offices do not celebrate Christmas...

Fifty years ago... who would have thought the question of celebrating Christmas could be so controversial...

/ Christmas card question #15  
Try being a relocated yankee use to dealing with New Jersey and New York contractors working in the baptist south:D Heck, one customer of mine thought I was probably the devil himself when I made a comment to him and I didn't realize he was a part time baptist minister:eek: I now watch my words very carefully around him and we're actually good friends now AND he's a good customer.

I've always said actions speak louder than words, and that even holds true when you say "Merry Christmas".

Well, you are more sensitive than you pretend to be :) The builder I hired for my house is a very devout man. I had to self-edit some of my swears for his benefit. He is honest and that's the main thing. Like all building contractors, his ego is a bit fragile. He never would admit cement board is NOT a vapor barrier even after I read the label to him. :D
Dave.

/ Christmas card question #17  
I'll be the first that I'm rough around the edges, but I honestly beleive in doing unto others as you would have done unto yourself;)

Yes, 'Do Unto Others ...' covers most of what we need to know to live in a very nice world. We just have to work on the concept a bit. :)
Dave.

/ Christmas card question #18  
Saying Merry Christmas tell me lot about the person that sends me that card.

It tells me that they have a strong faith in their religion and do not care about being politically correct and I respect that. I mean I don't care what religion you are or what you believe just put it out there and be proud of it.

What bothers me more than anything is a company that makes 75% of their sales during the CHRISTMAS season and refuse to say Merry Christmas or acknowledge in any way Christmas.

Bit by bit Christmas has been pushed to the back of the closet and it's time to take Christmas back.

If someone wishes me happy Chanukah, Kwanza, or Fetivas ( how many of you will get that one?), I don't get in a hissy fit like most do because of the word Christmas.

/ Christmas card question #19  
Well, this can cause a lot of discussion.

For a business card, I wouldn't do that. Some of your customers will be offended perhaps or think you presumptious or whatever. I would stick with a more religion-neutral message. It doesn't have to be as uninspired as 'Happy Holidays'.

I don't blame people for pushing back on the Merry Christmas thing. I'm sure many disagree, but I am used to being in the minority on this anyways. So, from my minority viewpoint - I don't appreciate how many Christians (and other religions) want to make their version of their religion all pervasive and see nothing wrong with making our country into a religious theocracy. Everything is politicized these days. I will never comprehend how some people can claim to being persecuted while pushing to have their own view point embedded in every aspect of life on every street corner. One or more of your customers is bound to agree with me. :D It's just push-back is all.

That said, I personally wouldn't hold it against you if you or your business sent me such a card. :)
Dave.

I so agree with this post!

/ Christmas card question #20  
For more than 25 years my property management business distributes holiday tins of Delacre Chocolate Cookies to all the families that rent from us and a few of the rental neighbors and vendors...

The only year I didn't was the year my father past away 2 weeks before Christmas and I got a lot of calls asking if I forgot about them... some former tenants have asked if they will still be on my list after they move...

My renters celebrate Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Hindi, Native American and traditional Christmas...

Being in the SF Bay Area, not even half celebrate Christmas proper so I just say go with Holiday... and no one has every refused.

At the Hospital where I work, we can only decorate the portion of the lobby not rented to others... the first year in the new building back in 1995 the CEO received a formal letter that all Christmas decorations be removed from a portion of the lobby a particular Doctor is renting... I can only imagine 15 years later that more of the Doctor's offices do not celebrate Christmas...

Fifty years ago... who would have thought the question of celebrating Christmas could be so controversial...

50 years ago it was no big deal to have "two" different sitting areas on a bus or in a restaurant either. Im just saying because sometimes we fantasize about times long gone, but we forget that it wasn't all a happy ending fairy tale in the past.

I do think Christmas is Christmas and that's the holiday.

Last edited: