CK20 Losing power

/ CK20 Losing power
Darkviper, thanks for the info. I will have to check it out and see exactly what setup I have and make sure I'm not messing it up.

Gittyup, now that I think about it you are correct. I had to use the seatbelt to hold it in the down position for the BH.

thanks guys.

/ CK20 Losing power #12  
That doesn't sound right to have to hold it down. Holding it up, you'd need something like your belt.

/ CK20 Losing power
Yeah, I'm gonna check what you guys told me but still plan on getting it into a dealer this spring to have them go over it. Just out of curiousity, what would the up position be used for?
kris

/ CK20 Losing power #14  
Darkviper, thanks for the info. I will have to check it out and see exactly what setup I have and make sure I'm not messing it up.

Gittyup, now that I think about it you are correct. I had to use the seatbelt to hold it in the down position for the BH.

thanks guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are two different remote kits that are available, one is not detented (flips back to neutral when let go of the lever) and the other has a detent in both directions to hold it at either position (which I assume is the option if a backhoe is attached). Maybe a dealer can chime in and clear this tidbit up.

Steve

/ CK20 Losing power #15  
On my CK25, I have one set of remotes installed by the dealer for use with a backhoe. It stays in the down position when pushed there, but springs back to neutral from the up position when released. I use the down position for my backhoe. It stays down as long as I'm operating the backhoe. I always return to neutral when otherwise.

The up position simply reverses the flow. You can use the up/down controls for a hydraulic toplink, hydraulic lift, or any other implement that requires reversing the flow. In such uses where eventually the hydraulics reach a dead head, I think the lever should never be left down, but rather always returned to neutral to prevent overheating of the pump. You'll hear the pump whine when it reaches dead head.

/ CK20 Losing power #16  
I recently bought a used '03 CK20 hydrostatic with about 140hrs on it. I took off the backhoe and put on the backblade for snow removal this winter. After running it for about and hour or so she started to lose power and the RPMs dropped as if she wanted to stall out. The only way I could keep it from stallings was depressing the clutch giving it a little throttle and letting the power build back up. This has happend a couple times so I've put her to rest until I can get to a dealer this spring. Before I ran it I changed the oil and filter, greased all the fittings and checked the hydro fluid? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks

I realize it's "off the wall", but since it was baffling to me, I'll mention it. I pulled the kill switch one day just to see if it worked. It did. However, later one I had the exact symtoms you mentioned. I finally discovered the kill switch linkage was causing it..

/ CK20 Losing power #17  
Diggin' up an old one here but, the same thing happened to me today. Working my ck20 fairly hard , moving and backblading top soil. After about an hour she lost revs under load and the only way I regained it was to depress the clutch 'til it came back up. I was pretty P/O'd so I took a lunch break, tracked down this thread and went back out to check the kill switch and the hyd fluid level. All seemed OK so I went back at it, this time paying more attention to smooth Hy Stat pedal ops and keeping the revs at 2500. So far so good. 3 hours straight of pretty hard work for a small rig and no more slow down. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

/ CK20 Losing power #18  
Could also be injector pump getting ready to go. Mine behaved this way just before completely crapping out.

/ CK20 Losing power #19  
I posted to this one back in March. However i had another issue that came up that is more similar to this and was completly random. In my case it was the fuel cap. I noted that when it stalled hard i could pull the cap and get air rushing in the tank meaning there was a vaccume. as long as i wated say about 30 minutes either idling or the machine off i was fine for say bout an hour depending on how hard i worked it. If you worked it hard then it was quicker. I put the new fuel cap on it and no problems since. Also as a side note you may want to run some Mercron ATF in the fuel a few tiems and clean the injectors. About 1/3 a quart to 5 gallons of fuel works good. Do it on about 3 fill ups and you will see a difference.

/ CK20 Losing power #20  
I bought some fuel conditioner. Is the trans fluid thing still necessary? Just curious as I don't have a lot of diesel experience. Thanks. BTW, mine has a new fuel cap on it as the previous owner lost the original.