CK30HST tires

/ CK30HST tires #1  

randot

Bronze Member
Tractor
DK 40SE
Hi, I am new to TBN and have decided on the CK30HST for 4 acres I just purchased in lower AL. All my pre-purchase questions have been answered from the informative posts and discussions here except tire selection for all around use on sandy soil with centipede grass. Industrial or Turf type, I will be mowing mostly and then digging for concrete pads, some box scraper work etc and I thought the Industrials might leave tracks and or damage the grass. Thank you in advance for suggestions/advice!

Attachments

• 726086-whole_yard.jpg
    726086-whole_yard.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 277
   / CK30HST tires #2  
For your area I think I'd go with the turfs. If you had to have more traction you could always add chains then remove them for mowing. I almost did this same thing but my property is way, way rougher than yours so I opted for the industrials. If I ever get it smoothed out I'll consider changing them over to turfs but I'll probably end up wearing them out first. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
-Phil

/ CK30HST tires #3  
Nice place...............what were on to take that pic? I have R4's and have experienced near zero traction problems. I feel that the R4's are a great blend of turf and ag tires

/ CK30HST tires #4  
I suspect that your soil is on par with mine here in Jacksonville, FL. I have R4 IND tires on my CK20 and am very satisfied with them.
I think you would eventually be unhappy with turfs on those occasions that you may be doing heavier work than just mowing.
I don't find that the R4s do any real rutting or damage unless the ground is really saturated.

/ CK30HST tires #5  
I have R4's on mine and find that they don't dig things up unless the ground is soft from a good bit of rain or in the Spring but I live in Pennsylvania and my area has a good bit a clay. Even then, I think it's just the weight of the tractor making marks and not the tread. You might be able to get away with Turf but Kioti John said his ground is similar to yours and thinks you'd be better off with R4's. As someone mentioned, chains would work for those soft ground days but they can really rip out the grass. I'm happy with my R4's and they don't make marks like the Ag's do on my older Ford 8N.

/ CK30HST tires
Thanks for the replies, the pic is from the realtor, I think it was taken from a helicopter. The R4's seem like they would be the best all around, not having a tractor before makes for another decision point.

/ CK30HST tires #7  
Your entire yard appears to be turf grass. Although the most popular tire is the industrials, I think you would be happy with the turf tires. If you're going to spend much of your seat time mowing grass I believe you'll find the turf tires will give you a softer ride. The industrials have a much stiffer side wall and result in a stiffer ride. For the 10-20% of the time industrials may be a better fit, I would go for the 80-90% of the time turf's would be a better fit.

With a 'level' yard that is all grass I would strongly consider turf's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif......of course the industrials are the most popular and they look great on the tractor too! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

.......my .02 cents worth.

Don

/ CK30HST tires #8  
It is a toss up. I went with the R4's, but I don't do any mowing around the house. From what I see I believe in my opinion that the turf tires would be better for you. If you were going to do alot of loader work I would go with the R4's. I don't have any experience with mowing with R4's except bushogging. I would imagine the turf tires would be better on your yard. I like the idea of adding chains if you need more traction. Great idea. You already have plenty of weight for what you are going to be doing.