CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?!

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #71  
I thought I heard that Yanmar's new IHMT (Integrated Hydraulic Mechanical Transmission) transmission can be serviced without splitting the tractor. Convenience of hydrostatic without the power loss.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #72  
I've only seen one clutch burn up like that and that was the operator keeped her foot on the pedal all the time.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #73  
A Farmall M too. But you couldn't get the pressure plate out of either one. Any two cylinder Waterloo built Deere could have its clutch changed while standing beside it.

That's right. Most all the JD two cylinder tractors have the crankshaft, engine shafts, and the transmission shafts running side to side instead of fore and aft. So the entire clutch ends up sticking out the side of the tractor where it is mounted on the end of the transmission shaft. Since that shaft was geared down, the clutch was quite small for the size of the tractor, and the parts are simple and inexpensive. The whole clutch fits in a cardboard box small enough to pick up without strain.

This year I'll be doing a clutch job on a two cylinder JD that sat outside with the tarp not covering the clutch for too many years. Tractor is fine, but clutch pressure and friction plates are rusty. Could probably wire brush them, but OEM JD 2 cylinder parts are so cheap might as well put in new ones...

The guys Kioti doesn't sound to me like abuse, it sounds more like rust sticking the flywheel or pressure plate to the friction disk from just sitting engaged without the clutch separated.
Anyone with a manual clutch quickly learns not to ride the clutch and how to keep the freeplay set right - so I doubt that's the problem.
luck,
rScotty

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #74  
If a person thinks driving a stick shift car/truck correlates into knowing how to use a clutched tractor, they will end up with a burnt up tractor clutch and not know why.

A tractor clutch should be used more like an on/off switch, with all speed control being done with the gears and engine speed! Do not slip clutch to creep!!

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #75  
That's right. Most all the JD two cylinder tractors have the crankshaft, engine shafts, and the transmission shafts running side to side instead of fore and aft. So the entire clutch ends up sticking out the side of the tractor where it is mounted on the end of the transmission shaft. Since that shaft was geared down, the clutch was quite small for the size of the tractor, and the parts are simple and inexpensive. The whole clutch fits in a cardboard box small enough to pick up without strain.

This year I'll be doing a clutch job on a two cylinder JD that sat outside with the tarp not covering the clutch for too many years. Tractor is fine, but clutch pressure and friction plates are rusty. Could probably wire brush them, but OEM JD 2 cylinder parts are so cheap might as well put in new ones...

The guys Kioti doesn't sound to me like abuse, it sounds more like rust sticking the flywheel or pressure plate to the friction disk from just sitting engaged without the clutch separated.
Anyone with a manual clutch quickly learns not to ride the clutch and how to keep the freeplay set right - so I doubt that's the problem.
luck,
rScotty
All Deere 2 cylinder Waterloo Deeres have the clutch on the crankshaft except the H. They are all multiple disc clutches.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #76  
I last posted in 2012 about this same issue so I just wanted to post again to warn future buyers of small Kioti tractors that my model stinks. Here's a synopsis: in 2012, my 2009 CK35 had 122 hours on it when it suddenly stopped moving. Turned out the clutch shredded itself but it was under warranty so it was a free repair job. Fast forward 8+ years later and my tractor now has a whopping 235 hours on it. But sadly, the clutch burned up in it today, AGAIN! And no, I do not ride the clutch. I've had stick shifts for 46 years and my 25 year old truck still has its original clutch! Anyway, unfortunately, this time I have to pay the repair bill. So, I am just going to bite the bullet and trade it in on a John Deere or Kubota, which is what I should have bought to begin with! So any thoughts from anyone on which tractor is decidedly better or is it pretty much just a toss up? Thanks for any input.
I too lost clutch in lk3054 at 300 hours due to leaking plug not sealed correctly on the housing back in 1997. Ended up with oil soaked clutch. I opted not to replace with factory clutch but have it relined at Fort Wayne Clutch. The lining composition they put on took me too 1650 hours before the PTO clutch was issue, rather it was pressure plate that was starting to micro crack over the lining. Took 17 years later before issues started. Keep throw out bearings lubricated and clutch adjusted they will last. I will agree the Kioti clutch lining looks really “soft” in composition new. Was not impressed in 1997. Kioti tractor is tough tractor otherwise they would not be selling units today. They are pricey today but was good option for me in 1997 quite affordable. Today I am LS owner of two tractors no disappointments, they were affordable. Best luck on next color suggest you go up in horsepower and size whatever you choose.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #77  
My 2010 DK35SE seems to have lost it's clutch function as of yesterday. It showed a change in pedal feel at the friction point and had sluggish movement but then seemed to become "well", so I proceeded to move it too a tree a few hundred yards away which I'd felled for skidding. The tractor easily climbed a steep hill then as I was backing down the trail toward the log pull I changed from reverse to forward to correct my placement to the trail center then upon again choosing reverse it became immobile. Everything works but no motion forward or reverse. Tractor has 357 hours and sits at times but mostly been well used lately. I'm faced with finding another 4wd tractor to pull it out of the woods, then trailer it dead to the dealer 2 hours away. It has been used but not abused and no I don't ride the clutch nor need snarky comments as some above lean toward, but do welcome suggestions to strengthen this clutch when repaired.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?!
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry for the long delay but I am finally able to reply after getting what I think is the whole story.

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that my clutch is not completely gone like I thought it was. So it still has some life left but not much.

The bad news is that it is believed to be 75% gone, after just 135 hours of use, based on the travel of my clutch and the fact that there is very little adjustment left. However, for me and my limited use, that should last me another 5 years or more hopefully, now that I think I know how I got here.

So here's why everyone (an independent mechanic, several experienced farmers, and a dealer friend) thinks this happened again:

1. The flywheel and pressure plate were not replaced or resurfaced when the original clutch went out because the clutch was shredded and the dealer's mechanic at the time thought they "looked ok". In everyone's opinion, maybe they were but then again, maybe they weren't so no one knows if that contributed at all to this problem or not.

2. Not enough HP for what I was doing (front end loader work in the mud which had to get done that day). My fault completely. It did seem that the tractor was struggling a little at times but I thought my CK35 could do anything and was indestructible. I disagree that it was operational abuse of the clutch though because the tires never slipped for more than a split second. But I did run the tractor for 4 hours without stopping so everyone (myself included now) thinks that I put too much stress on the clutch and overheated it a little too much, which wore it down more than it should have so that was ultimately my mistake.

2. Also, even though I had the clutch and brakes adjusted by the dealer 50 hours ago, the actual time it had been since then was about 4 years ago. So both were out of adjustment which contributed to wearing a lot of the clutch up as well. My fault again. I should have checked their adjustments at least once a year.

3. It is also thought that the clutch had likely gotten stuck a little on the flywheel over most of the winters for the last 9 years from sitting outside and from non-use. I should have started the tractor up once a month and ran it around as has been suggested. My mistake once again and so I probably shouldn't even own a tractor.

So, even though I do not believe that there was any operational abuse of the clutch, there was definitely neglect of the tractor and yes, maybe there was a little abuse of the tractor overall because it was undersized for what I wanted it to do that day but I still used it anyway.

So moving forward, I will be more diligent in checking the adjustments of the clutch and brakes, I will start it up and drive it around once a month even during the winter, and if it seems to be struggling at any time, I will not push it anymore.

Then, if the clutch can last another 8 years or so, I'll get a new clutch (and FW and PP) put in it and then it should last until I die I would think.

Thanks again for letting me share my experiences and my frustrations. This is a really good and helpful forum for nubes like me so I'm sure I'll be back at some point in time.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #79  
"I disagree that it was operational abuse of the clutch though because the tires never slipped for more than a split second."

Spinning tires are not as bad as being in too high a gear and having the clutch slip.

/ CK35 Burned Out It's Clutch AGAIN?! #80  
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry for the long delay but I am finally able to reply after getting what I think is the whole story.
2. Not enough HP for what I was doing (front end loader work in the mud which had to get done that day). My fault completely. It did seem that the tractor was struggling a little at times but I thought my CK35 could do anything and was indestructible. I disagree that it was operational abuse of the clutch though because the tires never slipped for more than a split second. But I did run the tractor for 4 hours without stopping so everyone (myself included now) thinks that I put too much stress on the clutch and overheated it a little too much, which wore it down more than it should have so that was ultimately my mistake.
In my experience, 4hrs of countinious use of a tractor is nothing. Lol. 4hrs of slipping a clutch will kill one. Anyone who thinks running a tractor properly for 4hrs will damage it doesn't know much about tractors.