CK3510 Charging Issues

/ CK3510 Charging Issues #1  

jbt308

Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE
Afternoon everyone,

Recently discovered after doing some spraying that my tractor died. Checked the battery and it was dead, this is a new battery, less than 6 months old. Charged the battery and got it running and checked voltage across the battery, was only charging at 11.6v...checked the alternator lug B+? & ground, exactly the same 11.6v. So removed the alternator and took to a shop for a bench test, alternator checked out ok no issues.

So....what next? Alternator seems good, battery doesn't charge, etc... not sure what to look for next any help would be welcome!

/ CK3510 Charging Issues #2  
Your system is not letting the alternator know it needs to charge. If your confident they did a load test on the alternator and your belt was tight, then you has a loose wire in the tractor. on my DK35, there is a plug of two wires that clip into the alternator. This is a voltage feed that sends the signal to the interior diode pack of the alternator and triggers the alternator to charge. Did you notice a battery or charge light on your dash? Without a wiring diagram, it can be tough to trace.

I would get that alternator retested, even if at an auto parts. Some will fail only when they get hot.

Been there, done that...got grey hair to prove it!!

/ CK3510 Charging Issues #3  
One other thing...silly, but, check ALL your fuses. Kioti is Notorious for changing system without warning.

/ CK3510 Charging Issues
   / CK3510 Charging Issues
Just as a follow-up.
Checked the fuse, it was totally fine.
Alternator shop cleaned out the alternator, looked quite good.
Tightened the belt, tightened all bolts super snug, cleaned terminals

Charging @ 14.4v.....no idea, think it was just a culmination of circumstances. Going to install a voltmeter into the cab so I can keep an eye on things.

Appreciate everyone's responses, thank you!

/ CK3510 Charging Issues #6  
It is probably your ignition switch. They are notorious for causing issues. Mine did the same thing. I sprayed some fluid film in it and worked it back and forth a bunch, and it's good for now. I'll have to pull my cab to replace it.

/ CK3510 Charging Issues #7  
Just as a follow-up.
Checked the fuse, it was totally fine.
Alternator shop cleaned out the alternator, looked quite good.
Tightened the belt, tightened all bolts super snug, cleaned terminals

Charging @ 14.4v.....no idea, think it was just a culmination of circumstances. Going to install a voltmeter into the cab so I can keep an eye on things.

Appreciate everyone's responses, thank you!
jbt308, I'm late to this thread, but my first suggestion would have been to check your belt tension. When you tightened your belt, were you able to notice any excess play?

I think I'd see how things work out for awhile before going to the trouble of adding a voltmeter to your cab! You may never have the problem again.

BTW, welcome to TBN!