ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly #1  

NYCheese

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510se hst TLB
ck3510se, did my 400hr service this spring, Just did another engine oil and filter change last week, kioti filter, rotella oil. It did a regen a couple days ago, at 513hrs, and ever since, the exhaust is smelling somewhat like an older diesel. Not exactly, but definitely a noticeable odor that wasn't there before (except maybe some on cold winter days). It's running fine, and the smell seems to be strongest during the first few minutes after it's been sitting for 20-30minutes. I'm hauling firewood right now, so typical use is: drive tractor up the hill, takes 15mins or so. turn off to load firewood in the wagon, maybe 20mins, then haul down the hill, unload and stack for maybe 30mins. Temp gauge on dash is sitting right below half, where it always sits, and the engine is still warm after sitting for 30mins. It was 70 degrees today.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not super worried, but it's definitely new and noticeable, so it's got me wondering. Thanks in advance.

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly #2  
Have you checked the air filter lately?

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly
Have you checked the air filter lately?
I did, immediately after noticing the exhaust smell the other day. Got the compressor out and blew out the grill and radiator screen. Filter was new this spring, still looks great. We've had a wet summer, so no dust anywhere to get sucked up.

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly #4  
The only time I had that happen, where the exhaust smell and slight color change was noticeable, was due to an incomplete Regen. I was Bush Hogging with my tractor and the regen light came on, so I continued to work as I normally do. During a turn, I looked back to see how the bushhog was swinging, and my hand slipped off the wheel and hit the dash....specifically touching the manual override on the regen, which terminated the regen immediately. It was another 25 hours before my next regen, and everything returned to normal.

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly #5  
My thought as well - Hit the manual regen and let it go again.

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly #6  
I don't have an electronic engine in my tractor, but I have a case one time where I bought some bad fuel.

The tractor would start oddly, smoke and just didn't work completely like it should. When I refueled with a different batch, everything went back to normal.

No idea if it was related, but shortly after that issue, the sulfur remover at the local refinery blew up, so maybe something was acting up at the refinery and I got a dose of high sulfur fuel? Who knows?

Not likely related to your problems, but don't discount fuel issues as I'm sure they can happen.

/ ck3510se, exhaust smelling more like an older diesel suddenly
Ran the tractor all day today, no more exhaust smell. I know for certain the last regen did complete like normal. Not sure what to think now, but I'm gonna keep my eyes (or nose) on it.