Cleaning chains

/ Cleaning chains #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I have three or four chains with plenty of life left, but they are kinda dirty (especially the one I used to cut on stumps I dug up). I sharpened them and tossed the nasty ones in a pie plate full of diesel.
I know they don't have to be super clean and I've never cleaned one before. But it can't hurt. I do regularly clean out my bar and the oil passages.
So, is there a better way to get tree gunk and dirt off besides diesel? I don't want to use gasoline.

/ Cleaning chains #2  
Seen some folks drag tire chains down dirt road for couple miles or so.

/ Cleaning chains #3  
Think he is talking chainsaw chains.....
Diesel works - use a scrubbing brush in a old baking pan or if you have a parts cleaner I just put mine in there and scrub them off if they are a mess.

/ Cleaning chains #4  
I don't really think dragging chain saw chains down a dirt road would help a lot. I do occasionally slosh mine around in a small bucket of gasoline, let them air dry, then back into a small tub of motor oil. I don't have a better solvent, than gas, available to clean them with.

/ Cleaning chains #5  
Great question. Got me thinking, there is a homemade solvent called Ed’s Red that is typically used for cleaning firearms. Should work good for chains and such too. I think I’ll give it a try. With lanolin and transmission fluid, it has some lubricating properties. Would think it would be better than straight solvents.

Link to recipe:

Homemade Firearm Related Products

There are tons of recipes online....Google it.

/ Cleaning chains #6  
I never thought to clean the chains, yes the bar and oil passages. I never cut up stumps though, seems it would be good to get any abrasive material out of the chain and diesel has some lubrication properties. I'll have to keep that in mind.

/ Cleaning chains #7  
I use WD-40 for cleaning most everything industrial and some things not so industrial.

Attachments

• WD-40 2013.JPG
    WD-40 2013.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 262
   / Cleaning chains #8  
I spray mine down with brake cleaner, blow them dry and then spray with wd40

/ Cleaning chains
They soaked in diesel 2 days then wire brushed today and back in the diesel, some of that gunk was really stuck.
As for the dirt road, that's kinda how I got here in the first place.
I will look up ed red.