Cleaning fuel storage tank?

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I was given an overhead fuel storage tank. Looks to be about 200 gallons or so. Won't know until I fill it.

It last had diesel in it and I'll be putting diesel in it. I bought a new hose and a filter to add to the tank.

Anyway. I'm assuming the inside is going to need to be flushed before I install the filter and put fuel in it.

Any tips on cleaning it? Slosh some kerosene or gas around inside of it?

Also, just wondering, when you purchase off-road diesel from a distributor do you pay retail price or buy at the same price which they sell to service stations?

Thanks!

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #2  
When you buy off road diesel you don't pay the federal and/ or state highway tax. You do get fuel with a red dye in it. If you're caught with dyed fuel in a road vehicle... I've heard the penalties are very stiff.

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank?
When you buy off road diesel you don't pay the federal and/ or state highway tax. You do get fuel with a red dye in it. If you're caught with dyed fuel in a road vehicle... I've heard the penalties are very stiff.

Hoss,

Thanks...I know about the red dye and not paying taxes. That's the price you pay if you go to a local station and buy at a pump. The local station has profit built-in. I'm wondering if I buy from a distributor if I can purchase at the same price as a station or at least pay somewhat less than retail.

The price is kind of secondary though...mainly I'm hoping for suggestions on cleaning the tank. That's my first project in the morning. :)

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #4  
At least in my area, (central NC) the fuel distributers don't make it worth while to travel for under 1000's gallons. I was able to buy 120 gallons of off road at local station for less than distributer's quoted price. If you have a large on site tank, the delivery charge eats into the savings. So I stick with my small amounts to keep the fuel fresh. A large mobil tank gets one into DOT and insurance liabilites.

As for cleaning the tank... I've put a length of chain in and rolled it around. The bottom is where the sludge will be found. Keep one end out or tie a rope to it. The dirty fuel was then used for fire starter.

Last edited:
   / Cleaning fuel storage tank? #5  
If it's an overhead/gravity tank, you probably have one 1" bung in the side bottom and one 2" bung in the top for the vent/fill port. I've bought and sold dozen of these tanks in the past few years and can say that a gallon or two of gas, sloshed around then drained out, repeated once or twice, then slosh around a few gallons of diesel and drain that. Depending on the amount of crap in the tank will depend on the amount of times you need to do this.

I had a 500 gallon skid tank that had 1 or 2 inches of crud in it and since it had a drain plug, i just opened that up and took my skinny garden hose nozzle in it and used a LED maglite to make sure i got most of the crap out. Then i did the gas/diesel cleanout and let is set in the hot summer weather with all the bungs facing the westerly wind to dry it out. If you dont have the bottom drain (which you ought to being a gravity tank) you could put the water/gas/diesel in, thread in some temporary plugs, roll it around, then drain it in some buckets.

Key thing is to get it cleaned as best you can and make sure to run a filter. Hope this helps.

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #6  
At least in my area, (central NC) the fuel distributers don't make it worth while to travel for under 1000's gallons. I was able to buy 120 gallons of off road at local station for less than distributer's quoted price. If you have a large on site tank, the delivery charge eats into the savings. So I stick with my small amounts to keep the fuel fresh. A large mobil tank gets one into DOT and insurance liabilites.

As for cleaning the tank... I've put a length of chain in and rolled it around. The bottom is where the sludge will be found. Keep one end out or tie a rope to it. The dirty fuel was then used for fire starter.

I actually clean my storage tanks bi-yearly. They all accumulate crud on the bottom. That gunk gets used to clean greasy tools and then on the burn pile.

I have bungs and valves at the lowest points.

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #7  
I got a fuel tank for free a few years ago. I need to clean out the old oil and clean the tank. The plan was to get on road fuel delivered to the house. The local guys would do so and it would save 5-10 cents a gallon.

I just have not gotten around to setting up the tank. The cost of a fuel pump has been the big issue.

Later,
Dan

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #8  
I got a fuel tank for free a few years ago. I need to clean out the old oil and clean the tank. The plan was to get on road fuel delivered to the house. The local guys would do so and it would save 5-10 cents a gallon.

I just have not gotten around to setting up the tank. The cost of a fuel pump has been the big issue.

Later,
Dan

Good electric pumps are pricey. Hand pumps aren't. I have a Great Plains 12 volt pump on my diesel storage tank with alligator clamps on the power cable, which detaches, for a reason.

The only way to get fuel is to provide 12 volt power, which I do from my tractor battery but if anyone else trys to take my fuel, there is no cable and no power to the pump.

/ Cleaning fuel storage tank? #9  
Our distributor beats the pump price for offroad by 10-20 cents a gallon every time. If you tell him when you are getting low he can watch the ,arket and give you the best price...like a stock broker buying at the low.