Cleaning out Drain Pipe

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I've got a series of French Drains around the property constructed of 4"& 5" ID heavy wall PVC set in a foot of gravel which is then wrapped in geotextile. Pretty nice system. The problem is one section is getting clogged with fine roots. A big rental roto-rooter gets them out in moments, so a homeowner type would probably do the job too.

But I know nothing...zero.... nothing at all about these motor driven pipe cleaner outers. What is a good make? What do I look for? Tools? Willing to spend up to about a thousand - what type would you get?
rScotty

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #2  
I wish you lived closer, I'd split one with you. My 30 year old footer drains plugged up this spring. They are plumbed to daylight 700' from the house, all I get is a trickle. This is the first time in 30 years I've had to run a sump pump.

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #3  
rScotty - I owned and operated RV parks for years, and cleaned more sewer lines than you or I ever wish to see. Electriceel.com makes the machine we used. For sewer lines, they make 2 diameter snakes, in 8 or 10 foot lengths. I can't remember the sizes, We had both, and the greater diameter was too stiff to make any turns. If yours is a straight run, then you might be ok with the greater diameter. I don't think you'll get away with $1K. There customer service is great, and the product powerful and hard working.

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #4  
For the amount of use you'll have for it, if the run isn't over fifty feet you could even consider a cheapie from Harbor Freight. Have you thought of renting one? To prevent root growth try putting copper sulfate into the pipes. Roots tend to not like the stuff.

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #6  
I wish you lived closer, I'd split one with you. My 30 year old footer drains plugged up this spring. They are plumbed to daylight 700' from the house, all I get is a trickle. This is the first time in 30 years I've had to run a sump pump.
And rScotty A 700 foot run is a long run. JJT, If your problem is with roots (as is rScotty), here is the solution. I developed this for use in sewer lines in RV parks, and so have converted the "formula" for use in drain lines, which do not have the acid of sewer lines.
Get crystal copper sulfate - coppersulfatecrystals.com You want the crystals to get caught in the roots, that's why not powdered sulfate. It's copper sulfate that is going to kill the roots. For 700 feet of pipe, if it's all got roots, use 60 serving spoons of copper sulfate per treatment.

If any reader has home sewer line problems, PM me and I'll pass on the sewer line formula.

The mix above is all dry. rScotty, for your 700 feet of pipe, I'd mix the above in 15gallons of water and pour it down an access hole s-l-o-w-l-y. You want the mixture to slowly make it's way to the other end of the pipe, killing roots as it goes along. Don't apply just before a heavy rain.

My experience was when I first started using it, I had even more problems with clogging. Roots would die, fall off, and get clogged in other roots. But after 6 months, and thereafter, we had no problems with roots. So rScotty, what you should do is clean out your drain line, and then start regularly pouring the mix down the line. Once every 4 months ought to be just perfect.

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #7  
I think I have a crushed pipe or a critter crawled up the line. I hate to start digging, when the run from the house to daylight is 700' and up to 12' deep. I'll probably rent a ditch witch and install a shallow and short, (100') run from the basement sump pump pit to the pond.

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #8  
@rScotty FWIW: Before you go mechanically cleaning them, I would check to see if the pipes are all solid PVC, as opposed to flexible, which will catch the mechanical blades. If you already own a pressure washer and have access ports, I would consider a hydro jetting tip. Just remember to take of your quick release fittings for the underground portion...

@JJT 700' without inspection ports and sweeps seems like... an oversight. Truck mounted hydrojets might go that long, but I have no experience with anything that long. We had to have about 150' done once, followed by a foaming root killing treatment.

@JJT a ditch witch sounds like a great way out.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe
A lot of good information, Thanks guys. It's all solid PVC & well glued. I did it myself. The roots are very thin and almost translucent. But tough. I thought that I could get them out with a hydro jetting tip and the pressure washer - but no luck at all with that. Kind of surprising since the tip will take off paint and dig in the dirt. Spent roughly $100 on pressure washer tips so I could try them all. Cheap experiment. There probably are pressure washers that will do the job, but a medium size Honda with a standard high pressure pump won't do it.

I put in double sweeps about ten fee in from the ends to make the job easier from above ground. I cannot imagine 700 feet. I'd be tempted to say 30 years is good enough. What material? It might be so good that it cannot be replaced with better.

Been pricing power drain cleaners and cutter tools. Not too bad. I don't want to use Copper Sulphate or similar because it flows into my trout stream....
I'm lucky enough to have fly fishing in the front yard & want to keep that.

rScotty

/ Cleaning out Drain Pipe #10  
If the pipe run is solid PVC and well glued how are the roots getting in? Gotta be a gap somewhere.