Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST)

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
Amazing how big a difference in cooling that cleaning the radiator, screen filter makes in keeping the operating temperature in the normal range.

This past weekend while brush hogging in 100+ degree heat, I needed to clean the screen filter 3 times. Each time the operating temperature had inched "too close" to the top end of the heat gauge. Since we have such thick growth, dry conditions, high heat, and sandy clay soil, there was dust flying everywhere. Glad I knew what to do after reading on TBN and receiving some other instruction, the recomendations to be vigilant about keeping this filter clean were a snap and took no time compared to the damage that overheating an engine might cause.

But, having to remove the side body panel in order to remove the filter is a bit of a pain. It is easy enough and can be done quickly, but come on designers ... you can do better!

Still, it is kind of fun playing like I know what I'm doing, and removing a body panel makes me look competent with my family. :D

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #2  
I have a 3710 with the same design "feature".

In mowing the orchard in mid August, we have to clear the screen multiple times a day. What we found that works best is a long 1/4 tube attached to the end of a compressor air nozzle. We bent it 90 degrees. pop the nose grill loose, reach in with the nozzle and blow the schmutz through the trap door between the battery and the radiator and all done.

I also make a habit of washing out the radiator core and oil cooler core at the end of a day of mowing. You will be shocked how much caked on dust will build up in the rad fins. The heat turns the stuff into concrete and it can be a challenge to remove.

I let the rad get warm, remove the screen and engin front and side covers and spray her down while the engin is running..........

I also do NOT let the temp get much past the second quadrant on the temp gage, without stopping and servicing.

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #3  
I use my leaf blower to clear out the machines I have which get dusted up pretty badly (mowers, hay baler, tractors, golf cart, etc.).

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #4  
We also use a leaf blower for in the field cleaning, but also use an air compressor when we have the time. We were happy to see how much easier it is on the M8540.:thumbsup:

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST)
What do you think about using a garden hose? Do you think the water is a problem for the nearby battery, or for other reasons?

Is air the better technique? I have a blower and compressor.

I removed the screen filter and hosed it off. And, then I was sprayed the hose into the space between the radiator and the intercooler (I think it was the intercooler) to remove the remaining solids/dust/particulates.

Of course, I kind of like the water since I set up a spiffy/efficient area as a "wash rack" for the tractor and implements. I drive past, hose down, and either circle back out to work or turn and shut down where I store the rig.

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #6  
I use both water and air. I think air is usually the more gentle way, and it usually does a little bit better job. Water works if you don’t spray too hard. I usually use air, because I can use more air pressure than water pressure without bending the fins.

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #7  
We have a high clay content and water just seems to cake our soil and then you have to poke around or use really high pressure which I don't like to do around the fins and electrical components.

If water works for you, I see no real problem.

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST)
Thanks all.

since the intercooler obscures close to half of the more delicate radiator fins, and caked clay could accumulate, I like the idea of using air more often than not. I'll think I'll make the switch.

Plus, it will be a good excuse for a new project. :cool:

Time to add a port for my air compressor to the exterior of the shop at the corner of the building where I do this. Plus, I think I need to make an 18" long extension for the air nozzle so I can reach between the radiator and intercooler. :thumbsup:

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #9  
Thanks all.

since the intercooler obscures close to half of the more delicate radiator fins, and caked clay could accumulate, I like the idea of using air more often than not. I'll think I'll make the switch.

Plus, it will be a good excuse for a new project. :cool:

Time to add a port for my air compressor to the exterior of the shop at the corner of the building where I do this. Plus, I think I need to make an 18" long extension for the air nozzle so I can reach between the radiator and intercooler. :thumbsup:

I found that Tractor Supply Co had a 2 foot long blow nozzle that works great for blowing out the radiator dust.Campbell Hausfeld 2 ft Extended Blow Gun - 3324160 | Tractor Supply Company
It was only $13.00. Rick

/ Cleaning screen on Radiator (L5740 HST) #10  
Thanks for the link Ranger Rick; definitely going to get one of those.