Dirt Moving Clearing a dirt pile in the cold

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #1  

ruralwarrior

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I have a Kubota BX23S. I'm still a relative newbie, have had my SCT for a couple of years but certainly not an expert.

My neighbor asked me for a favor. He had a couple of dirt piles delivered and wanted me to move them. We live in Canada and it is still pretty cold here even end of March.

I told him I'd probably damage his lawn but he wanted me to try anyways. I did - dirt pile was frozen and the wheels just spin trying to dig the loader into the dirt.

He's a good neighbor and has helped me out a few times so I'm disappointed I could not help him more.

I would always wait until early May to have anything delivered... not sure why he had the dirt delivered so early but he did.

What consistent temperature would I need to be more successful? I'd like to give it another try but obviously the temperature needs to be consistently higher so the dirt becomes much softer.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #2  
Do you have a tooth bar? Or just a straight bolt on cutting edge?

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold
No tooth bar. Standard bucket that came with the loader.

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #4  
How did you approach the pile?

Hopefully not from the bottom, hoping for a full bucket... smaller 'bites' from the top and sides wok best until the size of the mound is reduced.

There are youtube videos available.

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #5  
The temperature you need is called end of April

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #6  
Yesterday I burned brush for the first time this year. I was surprised to see how much the ground was frozen in the shady areas where I was working. It was 10-12" deep in some spots. Even with my KX121 Mimi X , frozen dirt and ground is going to win. I popped a big chunk of dirt, brush and leaves out of the burn pile that was probably 8' across 3' wide and 2' thick. It was rock solid. .. left it near the fire for about 20 minutes and I could then break it up. .. it's amazing how strong ice is.

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #8  
Most of my dirt piles are still covered with snow, so I would have to wait.

Did you try coming at the pile with the bucket from above, and try to drag some dirt off the top towards you? Then maybe you can back up, set the bucket on the ground, and come up under the smaller pile of dirt you pulled off the top?

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #9  
Unless you have big iron (ie 20+ ton machines) avoid frozen ground. However, there are nice things about the winter. You wont tear up the ground as much so transporting things (ie logs, etc) will be easier on it.

/ Clearing a dirt pile in the cold #10  
For sure - wait until all of the pile(s) are thawed. No need to damage anything on your tractor. Besides, when frozen, you will be trying to spread big, 'ol lumps anyhow.