Clearing Snow Off An Open Station

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #1  
Tractor
Kubota MX6000HST
Hey, folks. Just got my first tractor, an MX6000 ROPS with a canopy. Due to supply issues I got it by surprise. I hadn't expected it til spring so I got caught with my pants down on storage.

I plan to use the thing all Winter but being in Vermont that means my operator's station is already icing up as I'm keeping it out in the open and I'll be damned if I'm going to take a scraper to my seat of plexiglass dash. I covered the station with a tarp but it sure was a PITA to do a good job of it. Anybody in a similar situation and how do you handle it? I was thinking a tarp and heat gun for this Winter and a pole barn next.

Additionally: do I need to worry about ice buildup on my FEL hydraulics? My first instinct is if I don't scrap it off it'll potentially damage or unseat my seals. How concerned do I need to be about keeping my hood vents (front and top) clear this time of year? Can I exceed my normal ground clearance in snow? Should I be folding my canopy down when I park to keep snow and ice from building up?

Any other Winter tips? Thanks for taking the time to read, guys. Here's a picture of my gal fresh from her first 50 hour service.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_162858491~2.jpg
    PXL_20211209_162858491~2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 294
   / Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #2  
In your situation, I’d be tarping. Just be careful the tarp doesnt become so laden with snow that it rips and damages the tractor. Not sure about a heat gun around plastic or warming up components too rapidly…

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #3  
I covered the station with a tarp but it sure was a PITA to do a good job of it.

A 16-ounce or 18-ounce cotton canvas tarp will stay in place without bungee cords. As canvas tarps are permeable, your tractor operating station will not be damp from condensation.

Canvas tarps can be stiff in 40-degree weather. Canvas tarps will freeze when temperature declines to 30-degrees overnight.

Buy a size bigger than you expect to need. You want plenty of overhang.

I have purchased cotton canvas tarps to cover my implements from Chicago Canvas for ten years. Fast shipment and Chicago Canvas tarp prices include shipping.

My tractor is stored in my garage. My Mazda is outside in the driveway.

VENDER: 16 ounce | eBay

Last edited:
   / Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #4  
I would consider (I am from Florida!!) putting up some sort of temporary fixture for it to sit under. Hard to undo the damage to the tractor the weather does, once it is done. Maybe a four post with an angled roof, with slats at ground level to put tires on, so tractor keeps it from blowing away?

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #5  
Our M59 looks to be the same size as your MX6000
We also have a canopy, live in cold and snow country, are kinda particular about the condition of our tractors, and we don't have inside storage. So we have tarped our tractors for many decades. This M59 since 2008. Summer and Winter both.

For your MX6000 with canopy - or similar size tractor .... Get this exact tarp below from TarpSupply.com:
You can order online. I've bought from them 3 or 4 times now - always different material and weight but this is far and away the best stuff. It's a poly&cotton blend. Tough, lightweight, waterproof but breathes, flexible in the cold. good stuff.
Price is decent, and this is the right material and weight:
July 3, 2021
7'x9' Green Polyester CTP0709FF 1 67.99
Canvas Tarp [EXACT SIZE Special)
Subtotal 67.99
Shipping 25.81
Total 93.80
ULTRASTRONG GREEN CANVAS TARPS
DURAMOST POLYESTER GREEN CANVAS TARP

This 7 foot wide by 9 foot long is the exact right size to cover your tractor and keep snow off the entire operator's area and dash.

You want to fasten the tarp well against snow and wind but it needs to happen quickly. That way you will actually use it. More on that below. You want to cover the entire operator's stattion, seat, steering, and especially the dash.

For fastening to the tractor I first make short wire loops out of single pieces of one foot long 12 gauge Romex that I twist onto areas the tractor. One loop on each FEL upright or better yet on the hoses, one loop under the right side fender to hold the middle of the tarp over the electrical controls, and a loop on each side back at the bottom of the rear canopy supports. Total of 5 is all you need.

To those loops I tie a cord that ends in a CanJam. Canjams with cord come in packs of two buy 3 packs to get 5 canjams.
(https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-NCJ-25-2R3-Tightener-Mechanism/dp/B08582L8BF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=28LFOXXLO5UUP&keywords=camjam&qid=1641221578&sprefix=camjam,aps,127&sr=8-3

That size CanJam will clip perfectly into the grommets in the tarp. The CanJams and cord stay on the tractor, clipped back to the wire loop. Leaving them on the tractor is important because that way the tarp is easy to take on and off without getting hung up coming and going.

Good luck, I can send a photo if you need more info. But we've been tarping our tractors for 30 years now - and I admit to being a bit of perfectionist. This system looks and works well. The trick is to get the exact right tarp and clips. Just dumb luck that you and I have the same size tractor.
Good Luck, you can order this all online.

Oh, your hydraulics and FEL cylinders can stand the ice just fine. A 4 post canopy can handle the weight, If yours is he 2 post type cantilevered off of the ROPS, I'd put a prop in the front. A 2x4 propped through the steering wheel and resting on the cab floor and extending up to just touch the under part of the canopy should do it. Then you can leave the canopy up. It is much preferable to leave the canopy up.

Venting of the hood are is fine - the motor vents from the side and bottom sufficiently.
I've gone through snow rear axle deep for miles and never worried about ground clearance.
However, that is in fresh snow... I wouldn't do that if there were lots of ice without keeping the FEL bucket down to break thru.
DO PLUG IN YOUR BLOCK HEATER FOR A FEW HOURS BEFORE STARTING WHEN UNDER 30F.
And let your tractor idle for 15 minutes to heat up the trans/hydraulic fluid before starting to work.
That should cover the basics...
Good Luck
rScotty
7' x 9' polycotton tarp.JPG
FEL CamJams.JPG

Last edited:
   / Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #6  
I don't store my tractor out in the elements, but if I did I would likely use a canvas tarp from under the bucket, over the top, and secured to the rear.
As far as hydraulic cylinders, I gently clear the ice off of my truck plow cylinders before use.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #7  
I don't store my tractor outside, but if I did I would likely use a canvas tarp from under the bucket, over the top, and secured to the rear.

A 16-ounce cotton canvas tarp of this size would weight at least 65 pounds dry, 85 pounds damp. Probably more.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #8  
Welcome to TBN

I just tarp it and fold the seat down. Leave plenty of ventilation. Never worry about scraping hydraulic cylinders/rams unless it is a real bad ice storm.

TarpCover1.jpg

gg

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #9  
I do the same as mentioned above - just a plastic tarp bungee'd down.
To keep rain/snow from melting in the low spots (like the seat) and forming a 100lb block of ice, I try to stick something in there (like a 4 ft length of wood) to raise the tarp up so that water runs off instead of pooling.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #10  
Might consider a more substantial "temporary" shelter ""IF"" ROPS/Roof will fit under door frame...