clearing snow off roofs.

/ clearing snow off roofs. #2  
Reminds me of a Darwin candidate I saw a few years back. Was on my way home from work and there had been quite a bit of snow. People were all talking about clearing their roofs and how best to do it. I saw a guy on his roof with a snowblower! Not a flat roof mind you, maybe a 4/12 pitch on a ranch? And it was a smallish blower, one of those two cycle snow-throwers. But can you imagine the traction he must have had under his feet??? He needs one of these things for sure!

/ clearing snow off roofs. #3  
Good Evenin Mobohuntr,
Wow that thing is really nifty !

The one I use looks like an oversized hoe with aluminum handles, the blade section is crack resistant plastic. But that tool seems to work much better than mine. Actually I should say my neighbors, I borrow his ! ;)

Thanks for the link !

BTW the really smart people in Vt have metal roofs ! :)

/ clearing snow off roofs.
The CEO, err Boss, err Wife... refuses to put one on, I figure she will reconsider once I fall off. Actually I convinced her to go with the simulated shingle style, just saving the cash. Gonna cost about 15k :(

/ clearing snow off roofs. #5  
An asphalt driveway blacktop rake would make a good snow remover, except for the shorter pole. When I had my Cessna (high wing) I use to use one.
Another aviation trick is to rope it off. That takes two guys, but it works. It does a good job of removing the rough ice on the wing that hurts lift.

/ clearing snow off roofs. #6  
The avalanche gizmo is really ingenious. Much better principle than a rake. There should be a video on that site that shows how it works. I wonder how durable they are?

/ clearing snow off roofs.
I just went to Lowes and bought a piece of 3/4"conduit, 2 pieces of 1/8"x1-1/2" x 36" aluminum, and 1 piece of 1/8"x 3/4" aluminum for the braces. I bent the 1-1/2" to make an 18"x12" square. I screwed the conduit onto the 18" side and put the braces about 4" from the bottom of the "slicer". Then I attached some heavy duty plastic sheets about 12-14' long by wrapping them several times around the bottom and zip tying them. It works GREAT!!!
I will attach a weight to the bottom of the sheeting as the wind kicks it around a bit. And I designed it to be pulled toward the peak because we get 3-4' at a time and you wouldn't have to move the ladder.:D

/ clearing snow off roofs. #8  
My neighbor loaned me his avalanche a few years ago after multiple storms dumped about 50" of heavy snow in 3 weeks. It really worked well and cleared the snow quickly. You don't want to be in the way when the snow comes sliding off the roof. :)

/ clearing snow off roofs. #9  
I prefer a regular roof rake, too much weight too far out can be a PROBLEM !
I have the ~$40 one from a local hardware store.
I don't see the point of shoving a slick sheet of plastic up underneath and the risk of catching shingle edges when they're cold and brittle doesn't seem worth whatever minor benefit might derive from quick slide off.
Getting it all in the face all at once doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Tnx, but I'll stick with the 98c mousetrap for now.

/ clearing snow off roofs. #10  
I have 18 to 24 inches of insulation plus thermal barrier insulation (TBI) in my attic. I hope I never have to scrape snow off my roof.
Bob