Clearing Trails

/ Clearing Trails
Trail problem to be resolved Friday!!!

As I said in an earlier post, last Friday I met with a guy who would clear the trail using what sounded like a tree spade. He would remove the trees, stump and all and set them off to the side of the trail, after which it would be up to me to dispose of the trees and fill in the holes. He called me back last night with a very reasonable quote of $75/hr, with the total cost not to exceed $1000. Remeber the 1st quote I got was $8300.

Today, the Soggy Bottom Timber Boy came by. He operates the tree mulcher. I knew from my phone conversation that they charge $150/hr, but I wanted to see how long he thought it would take. He said no more than a day, and he would probably have time to clean up an area behind the house. $1200. No tree disposal, no holes to fill in. I realize that over time, I'll have emerging stumps to deal with, but in the grand scheme of things, I like this plan better.

So, unless weather or equipment problems develop, he's scheduled to be here Friday morning. I won't be able to get here until the afternoon, but rest assured, I'll get some pictures.

Thanks to all who have offered their sage advice. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

/ Clearing Trails #102  
Great. He can lower the cutter head if you have and large stumps and grind them 6-8" below grade. Any new growth can be knocked down with a bush hog very quickly. You may even want to add a little stump killer....

You will be happy with the end product. It really opened my place up and got me moving around to all corners with my RTV.

Good Luck,

Charles

/ Clearing Trails #103  
There will be quite a bit of work after the brush cutter go through. In my cutup field we lifted the trees, piled up cut off branches and larger debris to burn. The ground now is covered by a layer of cut up stuff needing to be cleared. After that I think that there will be many hours of BB work to get the ground to reasonable smoothness. Here is a pic of one of the areas opened up by the brush cutter.

Attachments

• 876900-download 2.jpeg
    876900-download 2.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 201
   / Clearing Trails
I've started a new thread over in the "Projects" section on TBN to show the outcome. Have a few pictures and I'm working on a video. Thanks to all for your help.

Ended up with a 1/2 mile trail plus alot of underbrush cleared from another area.