Oil & Fuel Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out
When does mixing with kerosene ever become a "problem" and what issues can it cause?

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #32  
I'm also going to go against the grain, I like bio diesel in the summer.
Below 45F it is a pain, you almost need a heated tank and filters for bio fuels.

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #33  
When does mixing with kerosene ever become a "problem" and what issues can it cause?

With a lubricant added you can run 100% kerosene the old mechanical pumps would run forever on it.
Many manufactures will recommend #1 in cold weather, some start recommending winter fuels below 50F.
Then the debate starts as to what is winter fuel.
It used to be blended #2 and #1 going heavier to #1 the colder it got.
Now all they use is anti-gell additives.
The more kerosene you blend the lower your power output and the greater the fuel usage,
thats because kerosene or #1 have less btu's per gallon.

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #34  
Well, my toolcat just stopped and threw a low fuel rail pressure code. I was coming up on the 500 hour fuel filter change so I did and it seems to run fine now. Every time I get fuel for winter I put a sample in a clear plastic bottle to put in the freezer for the cold (0-F) test. This year I was not happy how the off-road fuel was testing as it looked a bit slimy. I have now swapped the filter and am freezing a sample of the new fuel from a very busy truck station and the fuel that came out of the filter. Last year with the cold testing, I found that white bottle PS is not enough. You need the winter blend fuel. It is amazing how quickly the slimy fuel turns clear as soon as it warms just a bit.

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #35  
I checked the cap and when the tractor has lost power in the past I've tried taking it off to see if it helps and it didn't so pretty sure it's not the cap vent. I have not cleaned out the filter housing passages - will try that next time I have the filter out.

Couple of questions.
How many hours are on the tractor.
Where in Iowa are you? I'm just outside Vinton and I only get my fuel from Linn CO-OP .
Have you checked the fuel line from the filter housing to the pump? I read somewhere where the line had either a crack or was loose and was allowing air to be sucked into the line and didn't show a leak being on the suction side.

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #36  
Couple of questions.
How many hours are on the tractor.
Where in Iowa are you? I'm just outside Vinton and I only get my fuel from Linn CO-OP .
Have you checked the fuel line from the filter housing to the pump? I read somewhere where the line had either a crack or was loose and was allowing air to be sucked into the line and didn't show a leak being on the suction side.

That would also affect it running in the summer as well

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #37  
Have you tried straight #1 diesel off road? Pretty sure in Iowa all pump diesel has at least 5% bio. Algae and mold love bio as it feeds on it. #1 won't need treatment.

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #38  
The red off road diesel that I buy from the CoOp has no bio in it. It's a totally separate tank that's in the back area, not with main fuel pumps. I called and checked. Depending on where you live I am sure you can find some and if nothing else ask a local farmer. And then buy yourself another 5 gal container and start fresh.
It used to be until a couple years ago that the red dyed diesel had a higher sulfur level which help keep fuel contamination down and longer storage, but I guess the government changed that.
Also Ive found interesting reading on Bellperformance.com on fuel contamination under fuel & tank services which might be of help.

Last edited:
   / Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #39  
I had a similar problem, but hopefully cleaning my filler cap solved my problem. Had begun to think about removing my tank and cleaning it.
Talking about the off road diesel, I have been told they come from the same tank, it just has red dye added,

/ Clogging fuel filter - cannot figure this out #40  
I don't have the slightest clue about your (specific) tractor. But I know that fuel issues can drive a man insane!

Where is the tank? Is it gravity fed or being sucked out. If Gravity, maybe it gets to a point where a suction leak makes it impossible to suck more fuel.

Sometimes the worse thing about a fuel issue is the more you mess with it, the more trouble you might be adding to the equasion. Generally speaking, fuel under pressure is easy to diagnose leaking. Fuel under suction can be a biatch!

Again, just throwing stuff out there, because failing after some hours of running is ODD. Any chance of the fuel solenoid quitting from getting hot or the circuit that runs it heating up and quitting?