Closed Center Systems

/ Closed Center Systems #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have a john deere with a closed center hydraulic system. I bought a big *** (16 foot) hydraulic post pounder with side shift. :dance1:

I have to bungee the hydraulic control lever open on the tractor to send hydraulic fluid to the remote port on the back of the tractor. From there, it goes to the pounder and then comes back via a return line stuffed into the fill hole on the tractor's reservoir tank (remove cap, stick hose in). It does not use the second remote port at all.

I hooked it up tonight and the hydraulics work fine. But I notice that when I have the lever held open on the tractor that nothing flows through the return line into the tank on the tractor. My arms aren't long enough to see if that holds true when operating the hydraulic levers on the pounder, but I assume fluid flows into the return when using the pounder.

I would have thought there would have been constant fluid flowing into the return line and then it gets diverted when using the pounder but eventually flows back into the return. It feels odd to have the tractor hydraulic lever open and no fluid flowing. I would think that would build heat and would be hard on the tractor.

I'm guessing that I'm thinking about this all wrong? I'm guessing that no fluid flowing is no different than having the control lever on the tractor closed. So thinking this through, am I correct in concluding that it doesn't hurt a hydraulic pump to be trying to pump fluid that can't go anywhere? Do they have some kind of internal bypass or something?

/ Closed Center Systems #2  
Closed center hydraulic has variable delivery pump controlled by pressure. Once the pressure is achieved (assuming the valve(s) are in center position) the pumps deliver no flow or only enough flow to cover leakage in valve setup. So if you dead end the pump it will not deliver flow but maintain set pressure. When you move the valve on a pounder pressure will drop slightly and the pump will deliver flow to maintain the pressure.

/ Closed Center Systems #3  
on a JD spend the money for a power beyond block, it (at least on mine) fits between the present valve and the body of the tractor, put two quick connects one it (I suggest a male and a female connector so one can not reverse the hook up) and then when you hook up your remote valve, (it has to be set up for closed center as well) it will work the same as the factor valve but in a different place., and if for some reason one needs some extra vales on the tractor like a loader, tie in that port or tee in and leave the quick connectors,

have the loader (valves in the cab) and can hook up the back hoe or the post pounder via the power beyond,

/ Closed Center Systems
RIT,

Ah...interesting. Thanks for the education!

Closed center hydraulic has variable delivery pump controlled by pressure. Once the pressure is achieved (assuming the valve(s) are in center position) the pumps deliver no flow or only enough flow to cover leakage in valve setup. So if you dead end the pump it will not deliver flow but maintain set pressure. When you move the valve on a pounder pressure will drop slightly and the pump will deliver flow to maintain the pressure.

/ Closed Center Systems
BHD,

I have a 2-spool valve bank on my right fender for the loader controls. I know I can add more spools to it but so far I haven't had a need for more. It would be nice to be able to use that valve bank for the pounder. The control on the dashboard is touchy.

My tractor really needs some love. I just never have time to work on it and improve a few things.

on a JD spend the money for a power beyond block, it (at least on mine) fits between the present valve and the body of the tractor, put two quick connects one it (I suggest a male and a female connector so one can not reverse the hook up) and then when you hook up your remote valve, (it has to be set up for closed center as well) it will work the same as the factor valve but in a different place., and if for some reason one needs some extra vales on the tractor like a loader, tie in that port or tee in and leave the quick connectors,

have the loader (valves in the cab) and can hook up the back hoe or the post pounder via the power beyond,

/ Closed Center Systems #6  
Is post driver hyd valve closed or open center? My guess is it's open center which is not good for use on a closed center system. What model JD tractor? Some models didn't have the option of PBY.

/ Closed Center Systems
Closed center.

Is post driver hyd valve closed or open center? My guess is it's open center which is not good for use on a closed center system. What model JD tractor? Some models didn't have the option of PBY.

/ Closed Center Systems #8  
Is the valve on the post pounder a closed center or an open center valve?

I believe most post pounders would have a convertible valvle on it.

If so, then install the closed center adapter to the post pounder and parallel the post pounder valve to the tractor flow.

/ Closed Center Systems
Its closed center. It was set up by the manufacturer for a John Deere with closed center hydraulics.

/ Closed Center Systems #10  
MNBobcat
From reading your other post in JD forum I determined your 3020 is a '64-'68 model which didn't have the option of PBY but could be plumbed by teeing into hyd supply line by brake valve and returning oil to ether rockshaft return line or ported hyd filter cover as shown in attached photos. Bypassing rear remotes(SCV) as shown in photos should give you better hyd operation without the need to tie remote lever to activate scv.

Attachments

• mvphoto16172.jpg
    mvphoto16172.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 484
  • mvphoto11456.jpg
    mvphoto11456.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 407
  • mvphoto11457.jpg
    mvphoto11457.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 897