/ Clotheslines #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Hey all!

as a displaced inner-city sprawl&decay Fresh Air Fund kid now living in Appalachia. . .

I grew up with three cotton sash cord clotheslines that stretched from the 2nd & 1st floor window and basement back door to the telephone pole in the backyard 50 feet away.

I am FINALLY getting around to setting a clothesline or two up here in the woods (a real clothesline instead of the 30’ piece of rope I currently have strung up) and, while I have no problem with doing the cotton sash cord thing again, I discovered something online that is quite intriguing:

Amish Metal Cable Clotheslines.

Anyone here using something like that?

one of my questions is how well typhe friction of the clothing on the cable works versus natural fiber cordage?

I am trying to justify the MUCH greater initial expense against what is much cheaper but requires regular replacement.

not to mention the much greater span distance that metal cable would allow for.

Anywho, all input is welcome - THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited:
   / Clotheslines #2  
Last one we had was vinyl coated cable. Not the flimsy green stuff they sell for clothes lines. I purchased the clear coated and the wife loved it.
But with all the birds and bugs plus pollen they werent exactly fresh afterwards.
May try another one this year since I have cleared it up a bunch and the cats keep the birds at bay.

/ Clotheslines #4  
Hey all!

one of my questions is how well typhe friction of the clothing on the cable works versus natural fiber cordage?

Anywho, all input is welcome - THANK YOU!!!!!
Do you not use clothes pins? Or will your line be at such an angle that the clothes are in danger of all sliding to the end?

Doug in SW IA

/ Clotheslines #5  
My clothesline is just the plastic-coated cord you get at the hardware store. I don't think I've had to replace it in the 15+ years I've been here. Stretches a bit over time, but hasn't broken.

/ Clotheslines
The classic spring-loaded clothespins are my preference on cotton cordage, followed by the one-piece (I wish I could find 5” clothespins!) round clothespins.

I am curious how well things stay on a metal cable like this:
EDIT:

correct link:

Last edited:
   / Clotheslines #7  
My clothes line is fifteen feet of aircraft nylon jump cord. Got it stretched across the laundry room.

/ Clotheslines #8  
My clothesline is a length of "low stretch" line strung between two trees. I should sue them for false advertising. :eek: