clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!)

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!) #1  

kempfat

Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372
Hey yall! For the second time, I have split my tractor. I thought that my clutch issue and the sound of clanging metal had been resolved when I removed the almost disintegrated piolet bushing and replaced with a new one. However, after putting the tractor back together, I started it up and put it in gear and she took off as normal. First, then second, when I went to third the noise came back and the tractor came out of gear and would not move again. After spliting the tractor for a second time, I took a good look and everything seemed to look good. That is until I grabbed the clutch shaft (shaft that the throwout bearring sits on) and gave it a pull. The shaft came out of the gears but not all the way through the opening. I pushed it back in and it locked into place when trying to twist clockwise or counterclockwise, but when pulled toward the front of the tractor it slides out of the gears... Is that supposed to happen? I think this is the clanging noise that I was hearing. Should I replace the trowout bearring and spring? I'm at a loss! I don't have a repair manual or a parts manual and I don't have an extra 100.00 laying around to get them. Could someone please help me figure this out? Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to help me!

Shawn

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!) #2  
I doubt the throw out bearing, carrier, or spring(s) are any part of your problem. More likely a broken snap ring, thrust washer, or something in the transmission. If there is a shift cover on top of the transmission, you might remove it and have a look inside. Maybe drain the fluid and fish around the bottom with magnets and see what turns up.

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!) #3  
I second the vote on a broken snap ring and troubleshooting method.

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!)
Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely check it out.

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!)
Thanks for the second!

/ clutch / clutch shaft on my Mitsubishi MT372 (PLEASE HELP I NEED MY MT372!) #6  
Kemp, it sure would be nice if you finished the story ;)

In a later post, you mention a sheared-off bolt?