Cognitive bias....

/ Cognitive bias.... #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Ever stare at a problem for over a year, prepare yourself to spend money on it, then one day the light comes on?

I've got a disc mower for hay, it has one hydraulic hose that uses the float detent valve. No problem. I decided put it on a caddy to relieve the stress on the tractor which in turn also has a single hose to raise and lower the "3-point" the mower rides on. Problem, I've only got one floating detent valve. All last year when I needed to transport I'd raise the mower, lock it in position, disconnect it's hose, connect the caddy's hose and raise the "3-point" then repeat when I got to the work site.

Really a pain, got all ready to order another floating detent valve last week to get ready for this hay season. Then my brain said "hey, if it only needs pressure to raise and the detent only releases the pressure do you really have to use the "up" position with the lever to raise it? Why couldn't you also use the "down" side of the lever?"

Not sure if anyone else's brain sometimes gets in the way of easy solutions but feel free to post them up and make me feel better:ROFLMAO:

/ Cognitive bias.... #3  
My Krone disk mower is mounted on a caddy that also has a hyd cylinder to adjust height if disc mower 3 pt hitch. I pull it with tractors with 2 sets if rear remotes. I only attach hose that operates ""caddy cylinder"" if disc mower 3 pt hitch has settled. If 3 pt/input pto shaft of cutter is at correct height I only attach hose for hyd cylinder that controls cutter bar & leave 3 pt hitch cylinder rod where it is located & hose disconnected.

/ Cognitive bias....
My Krone disk mower is mounted on a caddy that also has a hyd cylinder to adjust height if disc mower 3 pt hitch. I pull it with tractors with 2 sets if rear remotes. I only attach hose that operates ""caddy cylinder"" if disc mower 3 pt hitch has settled. If 3 pt/input pto shaft of cutter is at correct height I only attach hose for hyd cylinder that controls cutter bar & leave 3 pt hitch cylinder rod where it is located & hose disconnected.
Yeah, I don’t own any of my fields so constantly roading it and that’s the only time I need to raise it at the caddy, don’t wanna risk a bump.

/ Cognitive bias.... #6  
Yeah, I don’t own any of my fields so constantly roading it and that’s the only time I need to raise it at the caddy, don’t wanna risk a bump.
I utilize my cutter to custom cut other folks fields so my cutter gets pulled on the local roads regularly during hay season. Natural gas drilling salt water hauling trucks/trailers have made local county roads very rough but so far no need to raise cutter 3 pt height during road transportation. The higher the 3 pt of cutter is raised during road transport the greater the chance cutter bar can contact an overhead obstacle.

/ Cognitive bias.... #7  
I owned a couple different hay cutting machines over the years. If doing custom work in damp climates, like some of us do, speed is of the essence.
First I had a self propelled. Very cheap to buy because it’s yesterday’s technology. Worked okay with sharp super tiger shark blades, but a lot of maintenance. Couldn’t cut fast enough to make money

1647693709106.jpeg

Sold the SP and moved on to (2) different pull types. Both worked well. One was a larger center pivot and the second was a side pull. They were faster, but had drawbacks in tight fields.

Eventually I came to realize a front mower was still the best option for MY situation. I put it in front of a road speed tractor that wastes little time driving between fields. It was hard to find a rig with a front 3 point and PTO I could afford, but it’s long been paid off and overall a great tractor. I can remove the front mower and do other work with the tractor.

1647693982849.jpeg

Haying is a process of adaptation to your changing company model and size. Your idea of adapting is going to be what helps you succeed going into your haying business. Keep trying and keep gathering up more land. Anything I can do to help, just ask. (y)

/ Cognitive bias.... #8  
This is what I thought this thread would delve into, lol:

Francis Bacon describes confirmation bias so:

“The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion draws all things … to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises or … sets aside and rejects in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination, the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate”. (Francis Bacon 1602).

Seems this is a human deal and has been going on for a long time? Try and tell a Ford guy the merits of a Chev, lol.

/ Cognitive bias....
This is what I thought this thread would delve into, lol:

Francis Bacon describes confirmation bias so:

“The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion draws all things … to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises or … sets aside and rejects in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination, the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate”. (Francis Bacon 1602).

Seems this is a human deal and has been going on for a long time? Try and tell a Ford guy the merits of a Chev, lol.
Confirmation bias and cognitive are pretty far from each other as far as thinking patterns go. As a hard corps introvert I’m much more often a victim of cognitive biases and would probably never be accused of confirmation bias…probably exactly the he opposite :unsure:

/ Cognitive bias....
I owned a couple different hay cutting machines over the years. If doing custom work in damp climates, like some of us do, speed is of the essence.
First I had a self propelled. Very cheap to buy because it’s yesterday’s technology. Worked okay with sharp super tiger shark blades, but a lot of maintenance. Couldn’t cut fast enough to make money

View attachment 738004

Sold the SP and moved on to (2) different pull types. Both worked well. One was a larger center pivot and the second was a side pull. They were faster, but had drawbacks in tight fields.

Eventually I came to realize a front mower was still the best option for MY situation. I put it in front of a road speed tractor that wastes little time driving between fields. It was hard to find a rig with a front 3 point and PTO I could afford, but it’s long been paid off and overall a great tractor. I can remove the front mower and do other work with the tractor.

View attachment 738006

Haying is a process of adaptation to your changing company model and size. Your idea of adapting is going to be what helps you succeed going into your haying business. Keep trying and keep gathering up more land. Anything I can do to help, just ask. (y)
No more land for this guy right now, I’m just hoping my business model will pay for fertilizer and fuel!