COLD starting JD X748

/ COLD starting JD X748 #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
With temps dropping below freezing I'm looking for the best option for starting our X748 diesel on those cold (and getting colder) days. The glow plugs aren't nearly enough for those really cold mornings but from what I hear from the dealer, installing a regular engine block heater type system is pretty pricey and probably not something I'd try doing myself.

Are there any products/systems out there that might help with the cold starting other than the JD kit?

/ COLD starting JD X748 #2  
Where is the x748 kept? outside? or in a non-heated building?

My two Yanmar diesels (one in the 455 and one in the 4300) start with no additional "aid" and are kept in a non-heated building through our WI winters. Have now for the last 18 going on 19 years.

Did you have a starting problem in past winters ?

/ COLD starting JD X748
Pretty much outside until winter then I park it in an unheated garage. It do manage to get it started even when very cold but when zero or below it can be a struggle. Have to keep the key turned on while the engine sputtering and shaking until it it finally kicks in and smooths out.

Would diesel an additive of some kind help? Also wondering if some sort of dip stick heater would do anything at all?

Where is the x748 kept? outside? or in a non-heated building?

My two Yanmar diesels (one in the 455 and one in the 4300) start with no additional "aid" and are kept in a non-heated building through our WI winters. Have now for the last 18 going on 19 years.

Did you have a starting problem in past winters ?

/ COLD starting JD X748 #4  
Sounds like the glow plugs are not doing their job.. If you can, check that they are working as it sounds like they are not.

They are part no. MIU802457 and someone may be able to give you a heads-up on troubleshooting them. Or if you have the service tech manual, you likely could. Also a search of TBN may get you the answer too.

/ COLD starting JD X748 #5  
My son has a X749 and it started better than his X485 gas sitting side by side in an unheated shed. I agree with beenthere that you need to check your glow plug circuit. There is a relay that feeds all three glow plugs. You should also be able to check for resistance from the wire connector to ground on each plug. You would have to remove the wire to do this. I could not find any resistance spec in the JD service manual though. I don't remember if there is a timer on the glow plug circuit or if this is operator controlled. Hopefully some one else can answer that question.

/ COLD starting JD X748 #6  
Yep, first thing to check are those glow plugs. On my old Ford pickup if even 1 of the 8 glow plugs was bad it was almost impossible to start in the cold weather without the aid of the engine heater. The resistance check is easy to do if you know the specs (I don't).

/ COLD starting JD X748 #7  
My X748 has a block heater. An hour on that and it starts like summer. Mine is also in an unheated garage.

I'm guessing it's easier on the engine too.

/ COLD starting JD X748 #8  
With temps dropping below freezing I'm looking for the best option for starting our X748 diesel on those cold (and getting colder) days. The glow plugs aren't nearly enough for those really cold mornings but from what I hear from the dealer, installing a regular engine block heater type system is pretty pricey and probably not something I'd try doing myself.

Are there any products/systems out there that might help with the cold starting other than the JD kit?

Does the tractor have an indicator light for the glow plugs? My Massey Ferguson has a little coil that slowly turns bright red as you're holding the glow plugs on that gives you a relative idea of when they're ready to start. It's not uncommon for me to give it a good 15 seconds, even more on super super cold winter days. Try giving it 1/3 or 1/2 throttle too, that should help engine speed stabilize faster when it first comes to life.

I also have a diesel Volkswagen that's 15 years old now and almost 300,000 miles. That starting system is more advanced in that the glow plugs stay on automatically for a set amount of time determined by the computer based on ambient temperature. The dash has a light that goes out when they're ready.

Assuming youre system is working correctly. But for a quick check if you have a voltmeter, set it to ohms, pop the wire off each glow plug, hold one end to the metal tip of each plug, and the other end to ground. Resistance should be a couple of ohms. When the plugs go bad they will go to infinity, or I've seen partially failed plugs that will read several hundred ohms.

I will say on my Massey starting cold is much more ugly than my Volkswagen, it starts right up no problem but there's a lot of smoke, and the engine turns very slow for several seconds (slower than idle) until the engine can generate enough heat to stabilize.

/ COLD starting JD X748 #9  
You can look on youtube there are different ways to test them whether in the engine or out.Even if you find one bad or has poor resistance you should replace them all.If good you can cycle them a couple of times to heat the air.
Another thing I do in cold weather is I use a hair dryer in the intake so it draws in the warm air to help start.

/ COLD starting JD X748 #10  

I had a new 595 and later a new X740 through the winters in Wisconsin. They were new so their glow plugs were new also, by they both had a bear of a time especially when the temp got down to the minus zeros Fahrenheit. They would gallop for half a minute but eventually they always started. If it was minus 20 or minus 20 I really doubt they would have started.

Thirty degrees and colder they were slower starting but never gave me a great concern. They were always in an unheated pole shed in the middle of Wisconsin.

I would price a block heater because maybe his definition of pricey and yours are miles apart. Maybe aim a torpedo heater towards the tractor for 145 minutes would help, just don't melt the plastic. Possibly a heater to put in the water line going to the radiator.