Cold Starting

/ Cold Starting #1  

roger_scotty

Gold Member
Tractor
165D,336D,JD_530
A new member posted this in a different thread where it might not get much exposure.... but the questions are typical enough for new tractor owners - especially new Yanmar owners - that I thought I'd start a new thread. Anyone want to take a shot at an answer?

"Ircked writes:
"I have a F16D and I suspect that the thermostart isn't working. How should I trouble shoot it? The tractor has run fine but I can't get it to start now when it is just a little cold out. I had a kubota before getting this baby and I know how it reacts if I don't run the glow plugs long enough and that is what it seems to be doing. I put a volt meter on the contact and it gets volts so i know it is getting juice. Do they go out sometimes? Can I just take it out and go down to napa and probably get a new one? "

/ Cold Starting #2  
I check mine before winter by removing the intake manifold hose so the thermostart element is visible. Then I turn the thermostart on and watch for the coil to glow and a small amount of flame when the fuel ignites.

/ Cold Starting #3  
I have found my biggest help in cold starts is the compression release.

/ Cold Starting #4  
This is great. thanks for reposting my question on a new thread.
When turning the tractor off. We have found 2 ways to kill it. one knob on the left and one on the right. We didn't know the difference but I have now figured out one is probably the compression release. I have two questions
1. which one is it?
2. how do I use it to start the tractor?

I feel like I should know this. We had a small kubota and it didn't have one. I have owned 3 diesel trucks and they didn't have them either.
thanks

/ Cold Starting #5  
The one on the left is the compression release. I've been told that in cold weather you can release compression and turn starter over real fast then release the lever and it will start up.

Eugene

/ Cold Starting #6  
The lever on the left is the compression release. You should see some linkage move on the top of the valve cover when this lever is moved. Also the compression release should only be used to start the tractor.
The lever on the right is the is the fuel cut-off , it is connected to the injector pump. Just move the throttle to the slowest position and pull the fuel shut-off.
Both levers will give the same result, but I have been told there is a possibility so some valve damage with the decompression lever.
When starting my tractor I pull the decompression lever and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes out. Then I release the lever and the engine starts. I use the same procedure in the winter, but after cranking the engine with the decompression lever until the oil goes out I release the starter and turn on the thermostart for 15-20 seconds. After that, pull the lever and when the oil light goes out release it and it starts.
I always wait for the oil pressure light to go out so I know all the internals are lubricated without the load of full compression .

/ Cold Starting #7  
how long do you let motor warm up before useing.. do you let motor warm up during summer months also?

/ Cold Starting #8  
Operator's manuals say to run engine at 1500 rpm for 5 minutes before accelerating or applying a load. I doubt many people do this for that langth of time. Just as important is to let the engine cool down after working hard. Recommendation is 2 minutes at slow idle

/ Cold Starting #9  
Hey guys when you have a new question how about starting a new thread. Some good answers getting lost under the wrong heading. We can start all the threads we want. It will make the Yanmar Forum much more useful to new guys who come along later. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Chris

/ Cold Starting #10  
Thank you very much. I used the recommendation to check the Thermostart by taking off the intake hose and that proved it was working them using the compression release and a little bleading at the filter it started right up. I had tried a couple times the last few days to get it started with no luck. Thanks a bunch to the group!!!!!!!