cold starting

/ cold starting #12  
I have had problems with mine starting. There are a few things besides the all important get a block heater. I have a timer that I use when starting in cold weather. That way I know that I have heated the glow plugs. Usually for 1.5 to 2 minutes. It's easy to loose track of time in the cold. I also park on some plywood under the engine to keep the cold away.

A strange thing. I grew up in Arizona and it is amazing how an overhang for the engine can help. It can trap the heat rising from the ground. Works good in the winters. It also is open so it keeps animals, bugs, or mother in laws from finding a home.

Sometimes I shoot some engine starter to kick it started. I do this with the understanding that my FarmPro will be replaced in under 10 years.

Then the most important thing of all. Start your tractor every few weeks before it is cold. I like to run mine up the road in 3rd.

You can also take your battery inside to help keep it warm and happy.

/ cold starting #13  
I have had problems with mine starting. There are a few things besides the all important get a block heater. I have a timer that I use when starting in cold weather. That way I know that I have heated the glow plugs. Usually for 1.5 to 2 minutes. It's easy to loose track of time in the cold. I also park on some plywood under the engine to keep the cold away.

You can also take your battery inside to help keep it warm and happy.

1 min is long time on the glow plugs, they will tend to burn out on you. usualy 10~30 sec is more than long enough to (HEAT) them up with is what causes the fuel to light faster the HEAT on the glow plug tip. the plugs don't actually HEAT the engine up. just the tip for faster/easier combustion starting...

also removing the battery is a chore on most of these machines. it is easier to use a trickle charger maintainer that is designed to keep it at full charge.
I am in northern OHIO, and have never used block heater, and usually only run it 3~5 times in winter never fails to start (When glow plugs are working) and if it is below 20 degrees I put a heat lamp on to injection pump for a while prior to attempting to start it. I have started it -14F once when I was stuck in drive with car & needed it to run to get me out. I waited for 20 min and took all of 3 trys to be fully running. 30 sec of glow plug heat each time. I didn't have the heat lamp on there more than 10 min that time as I was in a hurry... also use the de-compression handle if it is really cold or thicker oil in engine.

mark M
mark

/ cold starting #14  
[I have had problems with mine starting. There are a few things besides the all important get a block heater. I have a timer that I use when starting in cold weather. That way I know that I have heated the glow plugs. Usually for 1.5 to 2 minutes. It's easy to loose track of time in the cold. I also park on some plywood under the engine to keep the cold away.
/QUOTE]

Okay :):):confused:

/ cold starting #15  
[I have had problems with mine starting. There are a few things besides the all important get a block heater. I have a timer that I use when starting in cold weather. That way I know that I have heated the glow plugs. Usually for 1.5 to 2 minutes. It's easy to loose track of time in the cold. I also park on some plywood under the engine to keep the cold away.
/QUOTE]

Okay :):):confused:

Watch out for those English Language purist----They will complain about their inability to understand tractor talk:D:D

/ cold starting #16  
I have a Jinma 284 and was experiencing the same type of problems but then I installed a lower radiator hose heater and it made all the difference in the world. I even use it in the summer to simplify the process. I picked it up at Tractor Supply for about 20.00.

jjk

/ cold starting #17  
Put in a block heater and had it snow the next night. Tractor started up great with only needing 5 minutes to warm up. I just plugged her in and came back in about 15 minutes.

/ cold starting #18  
From my help post. I found that my new heater has stopped working. They should make them so the plug unit can be taken off and replaced. Now I have to replace it three weeks later and buy/use more antifreeze.

/ cold starting #19  
Just fwiw, instead of starter fluid, use WD 40. Lubes the cylinders and isn't quite so volitile.

Block heaters need a couple hours to heat, and explain to me the plywood thing again?:confused:

/ cold starting #20  
The ground is cold, when native people are in cold situation they lay fiber and other items down before they put down their sleeping cloths. The heat from a body will draw cold up. So the wood puts a barrier between the engine and the cold that rises. Metal is a cold sponge, it takes it in like a cold blooded rep takes heat. The wood pushes the cold away. And if their is snow on the wood it acts like insulation when the engine is warm and sitting on the wood. As the tractor cools it draws the cold up from the ground.