Cold weather and junk fuel

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
There seems to be alot of guy struggling getting and keeping their tractors running in this cold. Here is another example of patience and hanging in there. I believe I got a hold of either summer diesel or junk fuel. I had trouble about a week ago, put a fuel filter on and added some supplement. Couple days later below zero and more trouble. I bought what I knew was winter blend and more supplement. Got the massey going (it finally made it to the twenties) and let it run about an hour and fifteen minutes. Fiddled with the allis. It would run, suck the fuel filter dry and die. Got a new fuel filter even though I just replaced filter a week ago. Got it running and let it run an hour and half. The took allis for a spin and it did good. Added 10 gallons of winter fuel and some more power service. Working good now. The first 20-30 minutrd I had that allis running, she looped and sputtered and what not. You would have thought it had bad injectors, fuel filter plugging, fuel system sucking air or something. Just had to let it run and do its thing. I post this to help folks cause cold weather and junk fuel can really give you a fit. You'll think something is really wrong and it is just cold weather and or junk fuel.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #2  
There seems to be alot of guy struggling getting and keeping their tractors running in this cold. Here is another example of patience and hanging in there. I believe I got a hold of either summer diesel or junk fuel. I had trouble about a week ago, put a fuel filter on and added some supplement. Couple days later below zero and more trouble. I bought what I knew was winter blend and more supplement. Got the massey going (it finally made it to the twenties) and let it run about an hour and fifteen minutes. Fiddled with the allis. It would run, suck the fuel filter dry and die. Got a new fuel filter even though I just replaced filter a week ago. Got it running and let it run an hour and half. The took allis for a spin and it did good. Added 10 gallons of winter fuel and some more power service. Working good now. The first 20-30 minutrd I had that allis running, she looped and sputtered and what not. You would have thought it had bad injectors, fuel filter plugging, fuel system sucking air or something. Just had to let it run and do its thing. I post this to help folks cause cold weather and junk fuel can really give you a fit. You'll think something is really wrong and it is just cold weather and or junk fuel.

May not be junk fuel! Could be condensate in the fuel and that happens naturally especially in humid climates with low usage. Minimize condensate( you won' eliminate it) by keeping the tank as full as possible. Drain the fuel /water separator on a regular basis and collect the drainage in a clear container and look for water. Use fuel treatments.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #3  
I agree with Jerry.

For a lot of reasons (like Jerry mentioned) my last 5G jerrycan #1 Diesel fuel refill had a "double load" of both PowerService White bottle and PowerService 911. It reached cloud point somewhere between -7F and -10F. Tractor started easily at 0F/1F after 3 hours of preheating the engine block and hydraulic filter. The white bottle is formulated to lowering the gel point temperature and the 911 is formulated to remove water.

I also now use a water/fuel separation funnel to fill the tractor's fuel tank.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #4  
IMO it is bad fuel for the conditions.....if you're required to constantly add additives to keep things running then the fuel supply really does suck.
Too me water should never be that problematic or at least nothing the water separator can't easily handle unless it is bad fuel from the supplier
Winter cold requires the proper grade of diesel and I'm not sure that happens in many many parts......guess global warming means no need for it hahahahaa

Anyways spring is coming and the issues will disappear for another yr

Good luck everyone in the meantime.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel
I think where I got in trouble is I got in a bind for fuel and bought some in town at the service station. It was either junk fuel or not winters blend. Might have worked out in July. Any way. The old allis Chalmers 185 is so simple to deal with. The biggest inconvenience is working around the loader arms. All you have is a fuel tank,fuel line to a hand pump to prime system, a screw on fuel filter feeding the injector pump and then lines to the injector. All mechanical and no electric or electronic whizzos. There is no water separator. Just got some good winter blend from my usually supplier and couple bottles of fuel supplement. Just kept mixes the winter blend with what probably was summer fuel and adding supplement. When through 3 different fuel filter in less that a week. At one point it was 15 below and I think I was having problems with gelling until I got some winters blend and a couple bottles of supplement mixed in. My basic point is watch where you are getting your fuel, even if your in a bind and you run to town and grab 10 gallons. Once the truck show up and filled my barrel, that solved the fuel supplier issue. I don't know why I was so dumb to let my barrel run down. Just not paying attention I guess.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #6  
My problem was very old #2 used in 0F temperatures. The only time I really had diesel gelling problems was years ago when MA mandated Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel for on road use diesel. Every diesel owner/operator had gelling problems then. I ranted and raved on many threads in TBN about ULSD.

Around here the high volume stations offering diesel fuel are adding additional kerosene to the amended #1 diesel fuel they get from the regional distributors.

I am happy with a -7F to -10F cloud point with my current diesel "mix."

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #7  
Ive never had to purchase diesel out side of the state of Montana... But up here in the frozen north, all year round, off-road (dyed) diesel I use says its good for -40°f on the pumps. And I'm pretty sure #1 says the same thing but I don't get that because the cost. Is off-road diesel not an option everywhere or is it different grades elsewhere?

/ Cold weather and junk fuel
Around here we call it off road or ag fuel. It is dyed red and I buy it from an oil company that sends a truck out to fill my barrel. I've never had fuel issues or gelling with that supplier.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #9  
If my memory serves me correctly in MA there is on road, off road/agriculture, and marine grades of diesel fuel available. They were all dyed different colors. It really messed up the marine industry. I believe that MA requires that all diesel fuels be ultra low sulfur.

I would have to have off road/ag fuel delivered here which is not needed for the quantity of fuel I use.

/ Cold weather and junk fuel #10  
Ive never had to purchase diesel out side of the state of Montana... But up here in the frozen north, all year round, off-road (dyed) diesel I use says its good for -40°f on the pumps. And I'm pretty sure #1 says the same thing but I don't get that because the cost. Is off-road diesel not an option everywhere or is it different grades elsewhere?

Off road diesel is just road diesel with red dye and you don't pay road tax. It's blended for winter by mixing with #1 diesel and winter additives. I have never seen summer diesel rated to -40F in my part of the world. Summer diesel has more BTU's per gallon because it has the long chain waxy components in it. Not so the winter fuel.