cold weather dieseling

/ cold weather dieseling #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
Having just purchased my first diesel tractor, a Mahindra 3016,, I'm wondering about cold weather use.

Living in New England, our typical winter is a teens or low twenties temp with usually a couple of weeks in the single digits or less. Most nights it's from 5 to 20 degrees.

It used to be that diesels needed some sort of water or oil heater to function. Is that so today? There' s nothing in my owners manual about cold weather.

My tractor is kept inside but in an unheated barn. I don't want any surprises when I go out on my first cold morning.

Thanks.

/ cold weather dieseling #2  
A block heater is definitely a worthwhile addition on any diesel.
Is it necessary? Depends...my Deere has a Yanmar engine and those engines start in really cold temperatures....but I do use a block heater to make it easier on the engine as well as the cold start device (glow plugs or intake heater).

/ cold weather dieseling #3  
Our newer Kubota will start in the single digits without a block heater BUT I agree with Roy that a block heater is a VERY good idea. Sure not going to hurt anything that is for sure....

/ cold weather dieseling #4  
may also look at a synthetic diesel rated oil in the 5-40 range, engine turns over a lot quicker in low temps w/better cold start protection

/ cold weather dieseling
I thought about the synth oil but the manual, altbough it lists several brands and weights, it says nothing about using synth.

/ cold weather dieseling #6  
Not being familiar with your tractor model, whether the fuel tank is under the engine hood or behind the seat may make a difference in the sub-zero weather. If it is under the hood, engine heat will assist in keeping the fuel warm after startup. I have been using the 5w-40 oil for years (year round) now and am very impressed with its cold start cranking rate without using the block heater. Check with your dealer for a engine block heater and check with diesel suppliers for winter premium diesel fuel. I used the premium last year during 20 below temps and had no problems while my neighbors had issues with fuel gelling after startup. Good luck and are you ready for snow?

/ cold weather dieseling #7  
I thought about the synth oil but the manual, altbough it lists several brands and weights, it says nothing about using synth.
Any motor can use synthetic oil. It has all the same lubrication properties of regular oil but all of them are enhanced in a synthetic. SOME mfg. will state don't use synthetic until first oil change (50 hours) while others don't have any restriction at all.
For really cold conditions there is 0W-40 oil but 5W-40 is commonly used for temps down to -10F.

A block heater will make the engine turn over easier so it doesn't put so much load on a cold battery that is already weakened by the cold. Synthetic oil will lubricate the oil wetted surfaces of the engine also so there is less startup wear. Plug it up about 4 hours before startup or put it on a timer so it comes on when you anticipate use, like a snowstorm that you might need to clear the next morning.
You can also put a battery warming blanket on your tractor for better performance during cold weather and hook it to the same timer.

There is really no difference in diesel vs gasoline cold weather maintenance. Block heaters work to help starting in cold weather for both engines. Diesel engines require glow plugs to heat the air for combustion since thy have no spark like gasoline but the need for heat to the block is the same in both engines so the oil circulates quicker and it keeps it thinner.

/ cold weather dieseling #8  
Someone told me in the 80's that mixing synth and regular could turn it into a jello like substance. Don't know if true and have never tried to duplicate it. Probably total B$. Just saying.... :2cents: :confused: :confused2:

/ cold weather dieseling #9  
winter temps sounds like my winter temps, block heater = must have, and i am tempted to get a battery blanket as well.

my issue, is the older ford 555c TLB (tractor loader backhoe) it is simply to large to fit into any of my sheds. any place i park it, it develops it's own wind currents around it. i live on top of a hill with open fields all around me. so the bloody wind is on me all the time in winter.

normally coldest week of winter, heavy snow fall, heavy winds so of course drifts all over the place. including drifts around tractor and other vehicles. and i need to break out the bigger battery charger, to jump start the tractor. due to battery is so cold and engine decided not to start first few tries with glow plug.

if i bring battery inside the house a day or so before hand so battery warms up, and take it out and hook it up just before starting all is good. the difference between warm battery of 50F or above vs a battery hitting teens to single digits can be huge.

before i got the block heater, i had to wait till temps raised up into the teens as bare min more likely low 20s F, to even think about starting the tractor up.

/ cold weather dieseling #10  
Having just purchased my first diesel tractor, a Mahindra 3016,, I'm wondering about cold weather use.

Living in New England, our typical winter is a teens or low twenties temp with usually a couple of weeks in the single digits or less. Most nights it's from 5 to 20 degrees.

It used to be that diesels needed some sort of water or oil heater to function. Is that so today? There' s nothing in my owners manual about cold weather.

My tractor is kept inside but in an unheated barn. I don't want any surprises when I go out on my first cold morning.

Thanks.

Cold lube oil, battery characteristics and winter fuel are the important issues for cold weather operation of diesel engines. The diesel's high compression ratio plus the increase in oil viscosity with a reduction in ambient temperatures place large loads on the starter and hence require high current output of the battery. The battery, however is adversely effected by lower temperatures that lower it's output. Then there is the problem with fuel. Many times cold weather strikes while we have a load of summer fuel in the fuel tank and we haven't drained the fuel system's water separator. Summer fuel can gel starting at approximately 28F. Water can freeze on the fuel filter at 32F. Both will reduce fuel delivery.

The best thing you can do for your tractor is to install a block heater and use it. Generally, putting it on 2 hours before you use the tractor is adequate. It will warm the coolant and that in itself will reduce the viscosity of the oil on the cylinder walls/rings making cranking easier and requiring lower current draw from the battery.

Some people install battery heaters to keep the battery output up as temperatures decrease.

Using a lighter weight oil or a synthetic oil can certainly help. Just make sure the to follow the owner's manual recommendations.

Make sure that you have winter fuel in the tank before the cold weather gets here and treat it with a fuel additive that will help prevent filter icing (I use Power Service White but there are a lot of good fuel treatments out there.)If you have a lot of summer #2 fuel you might top the tank off with #1 fuel. That will lower the CFPP. Finally, make sure you regularly drain the water separator and the fuel filter( if it has an external drain) regularly and it's a good idea to replace the filter before the cold weather gets here.