Cold Weather Starting

/ Cold Weather Starting #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
My PT-422 doesn't want to start today. It is 39f and sunny. I just put two Kat 300 watt magnetic heaters on the hydraulic tank and a battery charger on the battery. It is in an uninsulated barn. All spring, summer and fall up she would start with no problem. She doesn't like cold weather.

I know this is a common problem with the older machines. How about the newer ones? Any complaints? I'd like to buy a new 425 this spring, but if they don't want to start in the cold weather what is the point of doing so.

I thought about putting a new starter on this one, but looks as though I would have to disconnect both pumps and raise the motor out of the tub to do so.
And there is no guarantee she will start any better.

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

Frank

/ Cold Weather Starting
Had the two magnetic heaters on for about one hour and twenty minutes. She fired right up!

/ Cold Weather Starting #3  
It was 16f this morning and my 1430 started right up. I am planning on adding an anti-gel additive to the fuel, but haven't yet. I have an issue with the throttle cable freezing. I need to let it idle for 10-15 minutes before I can move the throttle.

Bill

/ Cold Weather Starting #4  
Except for when the original 3 year old battery was going bad, my 2010 PT 425 has no starting issues. The lowest temp that I tried to start the PT was about 18 degrees in an unheated garage. With a full choke it started on the third crank. If the temp is below 18 degrees I am not going outside anyway, so the PT doesn't have to start.

/ Cold Weather Starting #5  
It was 16f this morning and my 1430 started right up. I am planning on adding an anti-gel additive to the fuel, but haven't yet. I have an issue with the throttle cable freezing. I need to let it idle for 10-15 minutes before I can move the throttle.

Bill

My PT1850 will start when it is that cold and it has been outside overnight but it does not like it. It often starts on one cylinder or so for a few seconds. Starting with all of that cold hydraulic oil going through the pumps is tough.

My throttle cable freezes too. I lubed it last year with a cable lube setup and that helped some.

Ken

/ Cold Weather Starting #6  
Next week we are supposed to be in the teens for a few days. Just my luck I have to head back to la I think. 1850 is a cold blooded beast but has never let me down. One day I a m going to pull a Ken and add glow plugs...

/ Cold Weather Starting #7  
I also have cold weather problems, usually I get the kerosene heater going for about 2 hours and that helps a lot. Magnetic heater may work quicker though esp. in really cold weather. Anybody got a recommended product for this?

/ Cold Weather Starting #8  
I have the 2003 425 and live in Montana. It is kept in an unheated garage with 300 watt magnetic heater on the hydraulic tank. Many times I have had to start when temps are 10 below zero. Full choke and three quarters throttle and when it starts to fire I ****** the choke back a little until I have engine running. Leave at quarter choke and throttle at half and go shovel the decks off. After I return (about 5 minutes) it has warmed up and ready to plow. Montana has very dry air which might be another reason cold weather starting is not so much a problem.
PJ

/ Cold Weather Starting #9  
I follow the same procedure as Paul here in Indiana, except no magnetic heater.

/ Cold Weather Starting #10  
Next week we are supposed to be in the teens for a few days. Just my luck I have to head back to la I think. 1850 is a cold blooded beast but has never let me down. One day I a m going to pull a Ken and add glow plugs...

Yikes, that's cold for around here. Better get the charger on the batteries and plug in the heat tapes.