Collar shift transmission? Yes or no?

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no? #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 310J, Kubota L4310
Quick question for you. Anyone have experience with a collar shift transmission? If you do, could you tell me how you liked it? Is it necessary to "double clutch" each time you change gears with this transmission? If so, is that a P.I.A. when doing loader work?

I am looking at a John Deere 5200 4x4. I have not been able to get to it yet and drive it because it is a good distance from me. I am use wondering how it works, and how it would be for loader work. Obviously won't be as nice as my prior tractor for loader work. I had a Kubota with hydrostatic but sold it and paid some other bills off as well so I could buy a larger piece of property. I am now looking at buying a little less expensive tractor and was wondering if someone with experience with them could explain how a collar shift is operated and if they are decent, "user friendly", or if I should look for something with a power reverser or hydrostatic. I can't be too choosy with the price range I am in.

Thanks for your time gentlemen.

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no? #2  
A collar shift transmission is alright, it obviously wont be as nice to use as your hydrostat was. I have owned several Deere's with the collar shift transmission, they were all simple and bullet proof. I never had to double clutch mine but I did use the foot throttle to lower rpms when shifting.

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no? #3  
I think if you want to shift on the go you'd need a TSS trans not a collar shift.

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no?
Thanks guys. The more I think about it I better find something with a power reverser or a hydrostatic. I will be doing quite a bit of loader work and one of those two would be much more convenient. Even if I have to spend a little more money. It would be worth it. The search continues.

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no? #5  
Gasifier,

It has been many years since I bought my JD 5200 (bought new in 1994) , but as I recall, the MFWD requires with a TSS (Top Shaft Synchronized) collar shift transmission. That would allow forward shifts between gears in the same range (1, 2, 3) on the go. Dead stop is needed for shift between ranges (A, B, C) and to reverse. You might want to verify if that is correct before you pass on this machine. My 5200 has been a really good machine.

I did not need MFWD or want to spend the extra money when I bought my tractor years ago, so I did not get it, or add TSS as an option to the two wheel drive. I really wish I would have gone ahead and ordered MFWD which would have gotten the TSS tranny. Also realize the additional cost nearly 20 years ago would be insignificant now....

By the way, I do quite a bit of loader work with my 5200 with the collar shift transmission. Real issue to me is constant use of the clutch. At the end of a day on it, my leg is pretty worn out from clutching. Mine shifts pretty easily if you come to a dead stop before taking out of gear. I would like to go to a cabbed version with Power Reverser (I may be too old school to go hydrostat) but my tractor is paid for, and it's hard to justify $ to trade up.

/ Collar shift transmission? Yes or no?
Thanks for the information Brad. Been swamped with work, mowing grass and cutting weeds seems to be non-stop. LOL I have not made up my mind yet. The JD does not have a backhoe, which is something I am going to need in the future. So I am now considering a Bobcat B300 TLB. I have found a nice one with a cab with low hours. The JD tractor also has a cab but I would need to add a subframe mount backhoe to it in the future. Another advantage of the Bobcat is it has a quick attach front loader and pallet forks. This has the advantage of adding a grapple or a number of other attachments with the QA system. More expensive with the backhoe and quick attach though.